• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Memory question for ULi M1695 chipset board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

midiboy

Registered
Hi everyone !

I am new to this forum, did some searching but could not find a definitive answer yet. Hope you don´t mind my asking this stupid "what memory to buy" question again :rolleyes:

I am going to get myself a new board and processor and was thinking about this new board based on the new Uli 1695 chipset which is getting great reviews out there ...

I would buy an AMD X2 3800+ to go with that board. Only thing missing would be the RAM. I would like to get 2 x 1024MB and also those RAM´s should not be very expensive.

This board does not offer high memory voltages, in fact it seems to offer only 3 choices (low, normal, high) from what I can see in this review

I would like to go up to maybe 230-240 FSB, maybe a bit more, depending on how much the CPU will go and I would like to keep a 1:1 ratio so the RAM should at least go up to 230-240 FSB, maybe even a bit higher ...

I was thinking about getting either the

OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum DIMMs or the

OCZ DDR PC-3200 2GB Dual Channel from the Performance Series.

Those two are available in my area and would not be too expensive (<250€ for the kit).

What would you recommend ? Which one would go higher ? Would those work stable in that board ?

If you have any other memory recommendations (2x1024MB) I am all for it, they should not be too expensive though and be available in Austria/Germany.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Bye,
Alex

midiboy said:
Hi everyone !

I am new to this forum, did some searching but could not find a definitive answer yet. Hope you don´t mind my asking this stupid "what memory to buy" question again :rolleyes:

I am going to get myself a new board and processor and was thinking about this new board based on the new Uli 1695 chipset which is getting great reviews out there ...

I would buy an AMD X2 3800+ to go with that board. Only thing missing would be the RAM. I would like to get 2 x 1024MB and also those RAM´s should not be very expensive.

This board does not offer high memory voltages, in fact it seems to offer only 3 choices (low, normal, high) from what I can see in this review

I would like to go up to maybe 230-240 FSB, maybe a bit more, depending on how much the CPU will go and I would like to keep a 1:1 ratio so the RAM should at least go up to 230-240 FSB, maybe even a bit higher ...

I was thinking about getting either the

OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum DIMMs or the

OCZ DDR PC-3200 2GB Dual Channel from the Performance Series.

Those two are available in my area and would not be too expensive (<250€ for the kit).

What would you recommend ? Which one would go higher ? Would those work stable in that board ?

If you have any other memory recommendations (2x1024MB) I am all for it, they should not be too expensive though and be available in Austria/Germany.

Thanks a lot for your help !
Bye,
Alex

CONGRATULATION TO YOUR NEW ULI AND WELCOME ABOARD
WOW, that’s the first ULi M1695 I see. must be brand new.
Yes ULi is great. Has Nvidia by the balls. That el ram I think is high voltage and I don’t like it. OCZ performance rev. 3 maybe OK. But if you know about Samsung's TCCD they are pretty good memory and is low voltage (2.6v stock). Patriot XKLB is TCCD and gives you great OCing. OCZ does too, but u need voltage w/ el. I maybe wrong Thu, and best to keep searching. The ram you show the link is very loose and is injustice to your new baby “ULi”.
I know asrock has great overclocking on Uli M1689 mobo (single chip just AGP version). If you have a good AGP card Abit 8U is also a new mobo w/ Uli M1689 and I have read the manual on it and has great Overclocking and options.
I am hoping the reason you are interested in ULi M1695 is because of TGI (triple Graphic Interface) and you want to use both AGP and PCIe.
If you are not in hurry, I suggest you wait a little longer until other mobo's have hit the market and you would have a better selections.
Right now this baby "ULi" is still in infancy and not too many boards are out yet. This Asrock M1695 is the first one I have seen.
I went ahead and bought chaintech S1689 which is also socket 939 because I have a good AGP card and Just like you, I heard about ULi and became interested. But before Abit 8U and I think I may have jumped too quickly, and if waited I would have bought Abit. I am happy w/ my chaintech/uli1689, but the only problem is that the BIOS keep updating. This is the problem of new comers always. But the new Abit 8U (3 days old) seems to have all kinds of good options for ULi M1689.
Let me start looking for some 1x2gig rams for you.

midiboy said:
Mhh ...

seems they don´t go that high ...

2x1GB database

:eh?:

No SIR. It goes way beyond NF4 EPOX and DFI. anandtech put nvidia and uli side by side and nf4 got up to 319 FSB w/ stock multipier, but ULi got up to 400 mhz FSB. Read the reviews on ULI M1695 by Tome's Hardware and Anandtech.com.

midiboy said:
Hi everyone !

Try these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220011

Also try 1gig ram buying it as single but from same company and same spec. and then try them in dual channel. It is cheaper and tighter timing. I think the reason 2 gig dual is so loose on timing and cost little more is because of the labor factor. Not cost effective when time consuming finding right match and tight timing.
below is 1 gig single. just buy 2 and see if they work on dual. I know w/ 512 they do, so it should also work w/ 1 gig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227209

But you have better sellection if you go 4 sticks of 512 (2 sets of dual 2x512)
better timing and probably less $. But you have to put it in 2T and 1T wont work when 4dimms are filled.
You can also go for 1.5 gig:2x512 + 2x256. if the 256 is single side. With this setup you could get 1T. I am not positive because I havnt tried it, but I have read that it can work at 1T this way.
Here are some 2x512:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220061
I like the one below because it is TCCD. It was $157 3 days ago, but I guess people found out about it being TCCD and now high demand and increased price. Hurry for this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220033
With above patriot you can overclock it to 600mhz. anandtech.com has it at 630mhz.

Last edited:
midiboy said:
Mhh ...

seems they don´t go that high ...

2x1GB database

:eh?:

midiboy, looks like from the link you provided OCZ (#20) in the list gives better timing, but doesnt say which ram?
ps:
sorry about my previous post to you- I thought you were replying to ULi "seems they don't go that high".

The Patriot 2GB memory kit seems like the best deal out of the options there at $230. Personally I'd go with that if your heart is set on 2GB of memory.

The one suggestion that stands out to me, from all of those that you have been given above is the one to "wait and see" what other boards come out with that ULi chip.

Quote:
"If you are not in hurry, I suggest you wait a little longer until other mobo's have hit the market and you would have a better selections."

It appears that there will be a few more coming and then you can see who has implemented it the best. Other than fame and glory, it usually does not pay to jump on the very first product to be released with a new chipset.

I personally think that this ULi chip is a wonderful product for those of us not willing to toss our AGP cards into the trash bin and am looking forward to seeing what comes to market in the next few months.

Hi !

ochungry and guys ...

thanks for your detailed and nice replies ! The thing is, I am living in Europe, Austria to be exact, so I have to buy what is available here. Newegg does not ship to Europe and I did not find a dealer in Europe that sells those Patriot Dimms other than Outpost, which does not have them in stock and don´t know when they will.

Mhh, as for the board ...

I need a new solution over the next one or two weeks so waiting for other Uli boards is out of the question. I am VERY torn between going for the Asrock board or preferring a more proven solution like going with an INTEL processor and Asus 945 board. That would however be much much more expensive and I really would like to keep my AGP card for now so my choices are limited.

The only safe solution as far as I can see regarding the RAM would be going for the higher priced Crucial Ballistix Dimms. Those are pretty much guaranteed to go up to 260 or more Mhz and are available here.

I could also get some Samsung Original Dimms from my local dealer and hope that those are TCCD chips (probably more likely they will be TCCC and those won´t go up to 250 on an AMD system I heard ...)

And yes, I would LOVE to have 2 videocards active at the same time and go for 4 screens eventually. Thats why I am so limited in choices. There are the ULI boards for AMD and some ASUS boards for Intel but other than that, there is nothing else.

Those NVIDIA boards with 2 PCIe 8x slots are only for SLI and not for 4 screen mode, I think or would you happen to know differently ?

Thanks !
Bye,
Alex

Back