• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An opteron board with decent oc performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

Basically are there any, preferably dual opteron boards with at least half decent oc options? I have heard things about the MSI Master FAR2 is it any good? and can you OC with an Abit WN-2S+? or is it better to plump for an athlon x2?

The Asus K8N-DL OCs nicely in Windows using ClockGen. In the ghost mode, after putting together a two-line text file, my dual 244s (1.8 GHz) boot up in Win XP at 2.4 GHz. Don't ask about OC'ing directly from the BIOS, it doesn't work due to the geniuses at Asus not implementing the PCI and PCI-e locks properly.

DaveB said:
The Asus K8N-DL OCs nicely in Windows using ClockGen. In the ghost mode, after putting together a two-line text file, my dual 244s (1.8 GHz) boot up in Win XP at 2.4 GHz. Don't ask about OC'ing directly from the BIOS, it doesn't work due to the geniuses at Asus not implementing the PCI and PCI-e locks properly.

They still haven't fixed that issue yet? How about NUMA? Does it work?

Albigger said:
They still haven't fixed that issue yet? How about NUMA? Does it work?

Many people have numa functioning properly..

Hopefully sometime soon there will be a decent overclocking bios.. things now are like the early PC-DL days - only clockgen got there.. then they released a new revision, and there were some special mod's that could take you way up there..

Lets hope that a simple bios with a strong PCI lock comes out soon :-]

NUMA works with fine the new BIOS. But aside from 10,000 scores in the SiSoft Sandra memory benchmark, it doesn't do much for most applications.

But ClockGen works so well, I don't see what all the fuss is about. You just setup a text file to be automatically read in the "ghost" mode and it boots right up at the overclocked setting. Set it once and forget it.

DaveB said:
...But ClockGen works so well, I don't see what all the fuss is about...

Linux, for one fuss... And it usually seems to be better to do things hardware than software...

But in the meantime, clockgen does an awesome job - I hear nVidia Ntune works well too...

krag - I don't know what you're doing to me with these deals. I have two xeon systems sitting around, NOT put together, that I DON'T need, and I'm still considering this opty deal...

any idea what revision these cpu's are and their performance?

how high does the k8n-dl go to in vcore, and what is default vcore?

Hah! Why quite frankly bro, "Zee delieze is infectuous!" drevil.gif

I guess thats just the Dr. Evil in me! :p

krag said:
*subscribes to thread sos I can pick some brains*

Heya fellas! You guys seen this thread I started about dirt cheap Opties?

I also bought the same mobo you did Dave and I am wondering about OC'ing with REG mem

I also got me 2 512mb sticks of this Buffolo 3200 mem
You really need four sticks, two for each CPU to run in the dual channel mode. I have no idea how those Buffalos OC, my Transcend top out at 240 MHz with the max VDIMM. Older B3 and CO stepping Opterons won't OC very far, you need CG stepping or better.

Albigger said:
how high does the k8n-dl go to in vcore, and what is default vcore?
Default Vcore is whatever the CPU defaults to. There is a single 0.05V bump in the BIOS but you can u-wire the sockets for up to 1.6V.

THanks Dave! Yep, I intend to get 2 more sticks later. So you got 10k on the Sandy bench with 4 sticks? Very sweet!

Vengance_01 said:
wire the socket for 1.6 Plus the .05 in the bios for 1.65 or just 1.6?
Like the PC-DL, it is limited to 1.6V without a mod.

DaveB said:

Could you describe the program alittle more in-depth?
Did you download CG-NVNF4 for the Asus mobo?
How are your temps at stock and oc'ed?
What heatsinks are you using?

LOL, sorry for so many questions. Thanks DaveB.

SuperCoolDude said:
Could you describe the program alittle more in-depth?
Did you download CG-NVNF4 for the Asus mobo?
How are your temps at stock and oc'ed?
What heatsinks are you using?

LOL, sorry for so many questions. Thanks DaveB.
Yes, you use CG-NVNF4.
I never ran it at stock, only OC'ed. Temps in the summer went to the high 50s under full load.
The heatsinks are crappy $10 Thermaltake M6 something or others. They are aluminum with copper bottoms.

DaveB said:
Yes, you use CG-NVNF4.
I never ran it at stock, only OC'ed. Temps in the summer went to the high 50s under full load.
The heatsinks are crappy $10 Thermaltake M6 something or others. They are aluminum with copper bottoms.

These heatsinks? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106604

Is there any space left between the sockets after the heatsinks are installed? I don't want to purchase any heatsinks that are going to be too large to fit.

Thanks again DaveB and krag. You guys have been very helpful.

Back