• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Vacuum to dust computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaaaaaaaaa

Hey my computer has been building up dust just like everyone else's.
I was wondering, if I power it off and flip the psu switch, can I use a vacuum hose or an attachment to clean my video card, fans, and cpu / nb heatsinks?

Doesn't it create a ton of static (aka dead comp parts)? :bang head

idk, give me your opinion before I try this please.

Alot some people use this method. I dont think its a problem but i simply just like to use an air compressor instead because brush + delicate components doesnt sound very good. But go ahead if you want.

My dad has an industrial vacum cleaner that has a blow feature that just blows a ton of air, I just use that to blast the air outa my case, have done it quite a few times and never had problems.

Get an older fire extinguisher, make sure it's free of dust or anything inside, use air compressor to charge it and use the extinguisher as reuseable compressed air can :)

or you can just go buy one or two of those compressed air cans from walmart, works good for me.

MadSkillzMan said:
air compressor has my vote
Even though I have never seen any problems with doing this, however small ammounts can come out of the compressor if your not careful and *could* possibly damage the computer.

The vacuum cleaner would be fine for sucking up dust on heatsinks etc. but remember that you can get slight static dischages. I personally use a nice oil less air compressor. Whenever I need to I bring my computer outside in the nice hot humid florida weather and blow all the dust out in under 5 minutes. The only down side is that you have to be careful depending on the environment you do it in, since its usually hot / humid where I live the fast compressed air ususally leads to condensation.

see ive tried the vaccum, and ive had no luck...i remove more with my fingers..the compressor i use is from about 1938 with no limiter valve, and a modern pneumatic hose, so this thing gets the job done (and fills a potato gun to 100PSI without complaining)

Fr3@k3r said:
ive used a vacuum tons of times... just make sure you ground your pc and unplug the power cable...

but of course compressed air cans + a duster works good :)

But doesn't that just blow a pile of dust around the case? I use a vaccume, But just the plastic part...No brush. And i never touch anything, I just wave it around to get out some floating particles and maybe a few dust bunnies.

Back