• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AA8XE ~ Anyone notice a high pitched noise possibly related to ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jod

AA8XE ~ High pitched mobo noise fixed!!

It's either the board or the ram. But whenever I scroll up or down in a web page or start up something intensive, I'll get a "circuit noise" that varies pitch. It's faint, but terribly annoying when all is quiet. It happens at stock speeds too. My mem is ocz valueram ddr2.

This isn't something that affects ddr2 in general is it?

Original thread here @ [H]ardocp.

Last edited:
I get that a lot with some systems too. I don't think it's unique to DDR2...both my Soltek and DFI nForce2 boards have done it.

i've had an asus board as well as another few do that.

it would make like a diffenet type of squealing screaching clicking sound through the speakers, whenever i scrolled, or say i open a folder of movies and it all the resolutions are loading as a detail for each file it sounds like a machine gun as it clicks for each one.

a soundcard fixed this , however the onboard audio will still click if you plug it into the onboard

i figured it was something wrong with the onboard sound.

You're not talking about a whine from the speakers though...you mean a sound from the motherboard, right?

I'm almost positive its a power supply problem. I used to get sounds like that when I had my raidmax 420w. There was a quiet squeal when NumLock was on. And when I moved my mouse (I had a microsoft intellimouse optical 5-button, where the light turns bright when moved), and the LED got bright, the squeal got much louder. Then when I was scrolling, same thing, it got louder. When I switched to my Fortron, the squeal was gone.

I'm almost positive its a power supply problem. I used to get sounds like that when I had my raidmax 420w. There was a quiet squeal when NumLock was on. And when I moved my mouse (I had a microsoft intellimouse optical 5-button, where the light turns bright when moved), and the LED got bright, the squeal got much louder. Then when I was scrolling, same thing, it got louder. When I switched to my Fortron, the squeal was gone.
All the instances I've heard it in are with my Fortron 530w, except for one with an Antec SL300.

johan851 said:
You're not talking about a whine from the speakers though...you mean a sound from the motherboard, right?

Bingo. It's most evident when I'm doing something intensive, like running everest's memory read benchmark. With my fan's on high, it's all good, the noise is quite faint. But when I lower my fan's down, the noise is killer.

whine of death characteristics

-high frequency noise
-coming from mobo
-stressful situations more obvious

If I click on a link here, it'll go...

"eeEeeeEeeeeEeeeEeeeeEeeeEEEEeeeeeEE" until the page is done loading.

dicecca112:

That's great, you've got the vanilla AA8XE? And what's your airflow noise level like? It'd be great if you could run an everest read for me while listening to the board with minimal airflow!

I don't think it's psu related, because it happened with my Antec TP 550 before I swapped it out for a Neo Power 480. It didn't happen with my AS8 or 6800GT. It's gotta be either the video card, mobo, or ram.

I'm leaning on the mobo. Thanks for all your opinions tho guys. I wanna get this taken care of before my window of opportunity come slidin down :bang head

Never had a problem or that sound with my AA8XE. Try running one stick of RAM at a time. If the RAM are in slots 1 & 3, try slots 2 & 4. Try disabling the onboard sound temporarily.

No problems with whines here either.
Tried the EVEREST method just a sec ago, nothing, not even the alarm EEeeEEee. All fans set at low, as suggest for your whinetest. :D

//Christian

batboy:

I have tried single sticks with no luck. Onboard sound's never made it past the post ;) But slots 2 and 4, huh...that'd be an easy fix.

Sshadow:

Haha, thanks for turning your fans down for me. That makes three of you without the killer whine. I'm def leanin' with the board.

Do you have the PCI fixed at 33? I use the onboard sound with my system and never had a problem, but the sound runs off the PCI bus and I've always had it set to 33 MHz. If you use a sound card, you did disable the sound in the BIOS, right?

batboy:

I tried mixing and matching memory and slots to no avail. Here's a few other things I tried too.

-pcie ~ 100 ~ Auto
-pci ~ 33
-default speeds
-oc speeds
-mem timings
-mem freqs

Time4aMassiveOC:

I've tried shuffling my soundcards and removing them. Neither the a2 value or revo 5.1 are the cause AFAIK.

HOWEVER, I did get rid of it by removing my memory altogether. Unfortunately, the machine didn't want to do much...

I'll be trying out another board today. We'll see. This noise must end now!!!!

i was under the impression you were using onboard sound, if i have that correct, are you saying that you have tried out 2 different soundcards as well?

or are you haveing problems with your soundcard and you have tried swapping out with another soundcard with the same results for your system.?

in either case the motherboard IMO is the culprit just like with my asus board, and getting a replacement should surly fix the problem.

if not maybe we'll all get to learn something new fixing the problem.

Actually it's 5 soundcards now, lol. Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 2 Value, M-Audio Revolution 5.1, Audigy 4 nonpro, and now x-fi. It really don't bug me much when the fans are turned up a bit. But when I'm just browsing the net...grrrrrrRRRRRRAWR!AAAAHHHH!!!!! GO AWAY NOISE!!!

I'll prolly end up ordering another one, then testing that out before I rma this guy. I betta hurry tho, hehe.

fixed!!

Anyway, I finally got around to ordering a new AA8XE. The board I had previously def had some issues. And ears shouldn't bleed after moving a window around the desktop. And so my mobo screameth no more and peace I have. Truly, the only way to hear the noise now consists of:

-everest's read or sandras mem
-turn all the fans off (incl cpu/gpu)
-stick my ear on the ram :)

and even then it's a toss up as to whether or not I'm imagining the noise :p

Now here comes the REALLY interesting part. If you look at the ss below, you'll see that in general the old (sonic headache) mobo seemed to produce more voltage than the new (sonic friendly) mobo. Whether this was actually a sign of a problem board or not, I don't know.

AA8Xe's compared.JPG

I can tell you this tho, reliable operation above 260FSB seems to be a very real possibility now. I'm runnin' dual p95,rthdribl stable at 275 right now. :santa:

Back