• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build, ordering soon, please review (:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smirabi

howdy folks,
i'm getting ready to order (from newegg, of course) my new computer parts. here's the list; please let me know what you think (any forseeable problems, etc.). i'm going to use this for moderate gaming and possibly some video editing, but mostly just emailing and surfing.

(i had the PNY 6600gt on the list, but newegg stopped carrying them aparrantly, so now it's the bfg, the only 6600gt with dual DVI)

Antec SUPER LANBOY Silver anodized aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case

ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500DAA4BP - OEM

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail

BFG Tech BFGR6600GTX Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1614C 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - Retail

THERMALRIGHT XP-90C Heatsink - Retail (coupled with a Nexus 92mm "Real Silent Case Fan")

Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2 - OEM

nice little coincidence that the total right now is $1,337 and change. i'm not sure it's a "leet" machine, but what the hey. thanks for reviewing it, have a good day.

You might want to reconsider on the OCZ ModStream PSU, people have had many problems with that PSU, especially of it's bad quality. For that price, you should get a Forton AX500 with passive PFC, that's about $91 and a much much better PSU.

For the 3500+, are you going to OC on it? I recommend you get a 3000+ or 3200+, or just spend the extra money if needed on a 3700+, but the 3000+ and 3200+ give a much better value.

Try to look for a different brand of HDD, Samsung isn't that big of a HDD brand. Something like Western Digital, Hitachi, and Maxtor are more famous brands.

If possible, try to get a verison of Windows from a friend to save about $100+.

darksparkz said:
You might want to reconsider on the OCZ ModStream PSU, people have had many problems with that PSU, especially of it's bad quality. For that price, you should get a Forton AX500 with passive PFC, that's about $91 and a much much better PSU.

I think you are misunderstood with the OCZ Modstream. The Ultra X-connect is the one with the reported problems. Also, you can get the AX500-A for 72 bucks at www.ewiz.com

darksparkz said:
Try to look for a different brand of HDD, Samsung isn't that big of a HDD brand. Something like Western Digital, Hitachi, and Maxtor are more famous brands.

Yes, i would also recommend a different HDD. Maybe add Seagate to the list also. :)

darksparkz said:

^This is a great idea.

Unless you just want a case with a window/one that is kind of flashy...you could get the Antec SLK3000B from Amazon for $43.69 shipped. Not that it matters, but it seems like you may be on a slight budget from your choice of certain components.

Another vote on the "loose the 3500 venice and get a 3200". Also the Modstream PSU isn't spectacular, you would be better off with the Fortron BlueStorm from ewiz.

i agree with what everyone else said. gEt a 3000+ venice since they overclock very well, or another decent overclocking chip. Lose the modstream, it looks good but isn't great.

isn't that like.... illegal....

samsung drives are fine - if you want the quietest drive around, it's the one to get.

Flip-Mode said:
Another vote on the "loose the 3500 venice and get a 3200". Also the Modstream PSU isn't spectacular, you would be better off with the Fortron BlueStorm from ewiz.

I agree, the Fortron BlueStorm is awesome and it is pretty too. I also like how it is sleeved :).

ok, thanks guys for your suggestions.

i think i was most concerned about my mobo and ram choices, and nobody commened on that, so that's good.

i've already got a WD160gig on the floor waiting for a use, so the samsung can be replaced if i don't care for it, but i am getting it for it's reputation for silence.

that's also why i wanted the OCZ psu, because people say it's pretty quiet.

i don't plan on OCing much, which is why i wasnt too interested in the great overclocking offered by the 3200. and because the extra .2 ghz is only another thirty bucks, i can't justify not getting it.

i am on somewhat of a budget, less than 1500 is my goal. i want legit windows, so i'm not cutting corners there. if you guys see any better way to spend some money, i'd be happy to hear it. keep in mind i'm more concerned with keeping it quiet than OCing. thanks again folks.

i agree with what everyone else said. gEt a 3000+ venice since they overclock very well, or another decent overclocking chip. Lose the modstream, it looks good but isn't great.

Quote:

isn't that like.... illegal....

Yes and it won't activate.

I would suggest a Hitachi over a Samsung. They are silent, I will never use another HD.

The Modstream is not quiet, I can vouch for that, but the 520 is quieter.

I'd order the xp90c for jab-tech.com, its cheaper. I would search for each product on resellerratings.com, it'll give you the prices for all the stores. I find zipzoomfly a lot of times is cheaper on things like HDs, than newegg is. So shop around, you'd be suprised how much it will knock off the price

Asus A8N-E Motherboard $102.49
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor $379.00
Antec Super LANBoy Aluminum ATX Mid Tower $63.80
OCZ Technology PowerStream 520W $109.99
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 2x512MB Dual Channel Kit System $169.00
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card $299.99
Samsung SpinPoint P SP1614C 160GB $85.00
Thermalright XP-90C $54.25
Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2 $62.99
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included $103.39

Total: $1426.

Honestly, with a budget of under $1500, you can get a much better system then the 3200+. Considering what your doing with moderate gaming, the X2 3800+ will benefit a lot towards your frequent multitasking stuff.

The ram you choose wasn't commented on because it's a great choice, but it's more or less a great choice for only OCers, cause it has good timings at good frequencies, considering what you do, Corsair Value ram is already good enough.

I personally have experiences with the Powerstream 520W and it's quite quiet, I can barely hear it, even my HSF is louder then it.

Everyone still wouldn't recommend that HDD, because HDDs won't get too loud considering what your doing.

Recommended changes: Drop to Corsair Value ram. Change motherboard to an Epox. Get 2GB of ram. Change to X2 4400+ by making price cuts in the HDD, video card, and ram.

ok, say i get the X2, the mobo will not have a dual-core ready BIOS, but i can still use it as a single-core until i upgrade the BIOS (through winflash or something like that) right?

i'm pretty seriously considering spending just over 1500 for the dual core solution, and i just want to be sure it'll work out ok. i'd rather not downgrade the mobo or ram because i really trust those particular elements, especially with each other.

at this point, $83 for a HDD i know is quiet is worth the money.

btw, where are you getting those prices...? $63 seems a bit low fow XP Pro

mcoleg said:
samsung drives are fine - if you want the quietest drive around, it's the one to get.
I agree. I've used many Samsung drives over the years, and never had a problem with them. They're quality drives.

aaaand i lied. i was going to order this setup around the end of next week, but that was contingent upon successfully defending my masters thesis. that got pushed back to god-knows-when so i wont be ordering for some time... perhaps i'll resurrect this thread when that happens or maybe i'll have a different list by then. either way, i appreciate the help. yall keep on rockin on.

I can't see a reason not to overclock, my 3000+ does 2.52ghz undervolted. The lower AMD processors are a much better value. With the money you save, I'd suggest upgrading to 2x1024mb, some things are starting to benefit from it, and get a DFI board. I can't stress how much I love this board, I wouldn't even consider getting the Asus.

i had originally planned on getting the DFI, but people always said it's not the board for the person who just wants to plug everything in and have it work ok right away. plus they say it has bad documentation.

but i'm going to reconsider it... after all, if i have a hard time, i know you guys can help me out. :)

about OCing.. i may if i can do so quietly, but the main important thing here is best performance for a very low noise level. and i'm just not ready to watercool yet. i'll keep you guys posted

Some people don't notice differences in OCing. In reality, like 600mhz above your stock speed will probably give you at most 5fps in games. OCing can be related to like tuning up your car, pointless but fun.

OCing usually means not much quietness, unless you do some research and buy the quietest things, but OCing at high speeds would probably require you to run your fans at near 100%, because of the heat.

And yeah, the DFI board isn't for people who expect quick results. It's a great board for OCing, but it may require quite a large amount of tweaking if you get an unlucky board.

At 2.52ghz, my Freezer64 gives ~40c load. Up until replaced my VGA heatsink, it was easily the loudest part of my pc.

your new rig looks very nice. If only i had enough $$ to redo my entire system and go all out.. but hey.. thats everyones dream eh?

Back