• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "I just ran into dough and want a BIG TV" thread...help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

Just found some dough laying around on the floor(not really) and would like to throw it at a TV of some kind. I would like to spend around $1500, but am willing to pay $2500 if it is for a deal that CAN NOT be passed up.

I really don't know where to start with this, so I am asking for all your advice. I've found some decent Sony 42's, but need a REALLY GOOD DEAL on something, and my fellow OCers seem to be like hounds sniffing out good doodoo when it comes to finding a deal.

So I ask of you, find that poo............

why not a new computer? (just curious, cause the signatured rigs of urs don't look like anything special)

Was really lloking at going that way, but my fiance' and I are still watching an older 27" TV, and my OC'd 2500 runs plenty fast for whatever gaming I do. I havn't updated my sig with my 9800 pro either, so...
Was thinking of an x2 build, or maybe an fx, but I need to be more practical(a little anyway) and go with something we both would be using regularly. Besides, my gaming would look HOT on a 50 inch LCD!!!

I got this one here...
pretty happy with it.
That's an integrated LCD projector. Try to avoid those as the bulb will burn out after some use and the bulbs are often expensive to replace. Direct view LCD is the best, although often the most expensive. DLP has the same bulb issues, although often not as bad as the power is lower. Plasmas wear out after a while.

We just got the Mitsubishi WS55315 (55" rear-projection CRT) shipped to our door from best buy for $1500. It included a free DVD player too :)

From the look of things, despite the bulb burn out issue, I think I may be going with Lcd projection, as the colors and definition are better than CRT, colors are brighter than DLP, and its cheaper than Plasma and Direct view LCD. Does this all sound correct to you guys?

yo4444 said:
From the look of things, despite the bulb burn out issue, I think I may be going with Lcd projection, as the colors and definition are better than CRT, colors are brighter than DLP, and its cheaper than Plasma and Direct view LCD. Does this all sound correct to you guys?

wrong crt is this best but is being replaced due to smaller size

Thats right, I forgot about the black levels in LCD being not black, but darker shades of grey. Hmmm,... So if size is an issue...CRT being too big unless we find an ULTRA deal) then DLP would be the best solution due to the black levels and clarity verses the price of the plasmas?
I'm looking for roughly 42"-50" of set. I'd like the best quality possible for the price, and would gladly go with a 37-42" set of higher quality over a 50" that is dimmer and fuzzier.
Gimme suggestions!!!

if you have room to set it up behind you, you could consider a dlp projector as oppsed to an actual display. Those will let you have a screen as big or small (withing reason) as you want and don't take up much space themselves. They are often a great value, too. Just something to consider...

The projector route I would stay away from if it's going to be used for an "everyday-tv" type of setup. I don't know about you guys, but the main TV in the house in the living room is probably on about 20 hours a day, wether someone is in the room or not.

Bulbs are expensive, my projector for example costs me (or will cost me) $200-$300 to replace the bulb when it goes out...

yo4444 said:
Just found some dough laying around on the floor(not really) and would like to throw it at a TV of some kind. I would like to spend around $1500, but am willing to pay $2500 if it is for a deal that CAN NOT be passed up.

I really don't know where to start with this, so I am asking for all your advice. I've found some decent Sony 42's, but need a REALLY GOOD DEAL on something, and my fellow OCers seem to be like hounds sniffing out good doodoo when it comes to finding a deal.

So I ask of you, find that poo............
Go to AVS forum and get as much information as you an before you lay down that much money on a TV.

Yea. Dude. Because seriously. In a forum like this, this isn't the best place to insult peoples computers. Look at KfistoRok, he has a similar setup to the other guy. and same with me, you just insulted a whole bunch of us. Not cool man.

Projectors = dark rooms - if you klike daylight you wont like a ceiling projector

i good size CRT back projection should give you the quality you need at the right price and last a long long time... i beleive you can get HD CRT's ?

DLP is the best money can buy currently. Plasma has issues so does lcd and so do projectors. And CRT gets really grainy at about 35" or so. I have a 35" toshiba and i love it, but when watching dvd's or tv for that matter i do see pixelation(is this a word) when the screen gets dark. ie digital ghosting for lack of a better description. If you do go DLP, then please for the love of god, get a battery backup for it. THey run really hot and if the fan doesn't run for a while after the tv is turned off the bulb WILL BURN OUT. SO if say the power goes out the fans dont run and poof.... new bulb. PM me if you want the breakdowns of current problem/positives. I've done a lot of research lately and know what each type of tv can do for you.

There are plenty of options out there and you really need to shop around for the best deal/fit for what you want.

Vulcan said:
Go to AVS forum and get as much information as you an before you lay down that much money on a TV.

what the man says... those guys know as much about tvs as we know about overclocking :p (//endbrugg) :p

seriously though, i've spent almost a month reading there before i got my olevia. glad i did the research too - that screen is sweet and saved me a bundle compared to some other options i considered.

Back