• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Other stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlakMonkey

I posted my new computer, or at least what I plan to get awhile back and didnt want to brinng it back from the dead so I am starting a new one.

When you buy parts for a new computer, do you have to buy cables and things? I have read a few threads and in some it lists the cables as things they purchased.

I am just curious as I obviously want to have everything I need to run it.

Not sure if the parts are needed so I wont post them yet. I will if needed.

Depends on the cables. Some you can get away using for a long time like power cable and hard drive Y splitter. Others like IDE cables have changed in the past few years and today's PATA hard drive works best with 80 conductor cable and there's also SATA which uses cable not used at all before. Category 5 ethernet that you may have from the past few years cable can still work fine with 100 Mbit network. The 5e and 6 are just marketing gimmik unless you plan to go to Gigabit network soon.

Standard VGA cable probably will still be fine but if your new monitor supports DVI and your video card has DVI port, get DVI cable anyway.

If you are going to use floppy drive, you can keep the old cable. Pretty much everything else that goes inside the computer have changed or improved in the past few years.

Usually the motherboard comes with (almost) all the cables you'll need, as long as you bought it retail - not OEM, and not refurbished.

Well I wont be using any old cables because I only have one other computer setup and I am gonna give it to me brother for his room.

The motherboard I am getting is the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra. Would that come with most of them? Also I lied. I will be using the moniter and its cable. So I will need all but that one. I am hoping this motherboard comes with them.

yeah, check out the pictures at newegg, they show that it comes with 2 ide cables, 1 floppy cable, 2 sata cables and an sata drive power adapter(?).

Yea I saw those pics but I have no idea what the cables look like.

It also turns out I may be getting the broken computer from work. It is a pentium 2 350 mghz or somin and has a floppy and hdd and that good stuff so i could probably use those cables.

If you buy retail drives they will come with the cables, if you buy OEM, its just the drive itself. Most of the time if you buy a new case it will come with a new power cable if the PSU comes with it.

FlakMonkey said:
It also turns out I may be getting the broken computer from work. It is a pentium 2 350 mghz or somin and has a floppy and hdd and that good stuff so i could probably use those cables.

Those cables won't be good for todays hard drives, they are old 40 wire cables only good for 33MB/s. The newer IDE cables are 80 wire or you might buy SATA drives, which are a completely different cable altogether.

Oh I see. Well looks like I will have to do more research.

I will post some parts later once I get a more final setup...I keep changing it.

Small stuff are recommended, but not needed or required. Things like anti-static gloves or mats and some set of like "103 computer tools" might be pretty cool, but in reality, a single screwdriver is usually fine. Some rubber bands probably, or those wire snapper things.

Back