• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building first comp (and failing miserably) please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wachter

Registered
All the parts to my first build came just this week:

AMD 3700 (1MB Clawhammer)
Soltek Nvidia 3 Mainboard (754)
1GB Corsiad VS RAM
XFX 128mb Geforce 6600GT
80GB WD SATA
Atrix 4 in 1 Case with 400watt PSU (yes I know the power supply is crap but itll do)

My problem right now is in the number of 4pin Molex connectors that come out of my PSU. Each of the big wires comming out has about 3 Molex connectors on it (male and female). Im guessing this is so you can daisychain components together, but I dont know.

For example. Two of the case fans are hooked up to eachother. There are two molex connectors coming off them (1 male, 1 female). Which do I connect to the power supply? Or do I connect both of them?

Also, do I use up all the connectors on one line coming out of the PSU before proceeding to use another line, or do I try and spread them out between the lines equally. (by line i just mean a wire clump out of the PSU that has the 3 molex connectors on it, one has the floppy power supply as well)

Welcome to teh forums!!1!11ONEONEELEVEN

Wachter said:
For example. Two of the case fans are hooked up to eachother. There are two molex connectors coming off them (1 male, 1 female). Which do I connect to the power supply? Or do I connect both of them?

Also, do I use up all the connectors on one line coming out of the PSU before proceeding to use another line, or do I try and spread them out between the lines equally. (by line i just mean a wire clump out of the PSU that has the 3 molex connectors on it, one has the floppy power supply as well)

Just connect the male adapter to a female from the PSU, the other end can be used to add other components later, leave it for now.

You can use them any way you want, taking that your PSU likely doesnt have separate rails. Use them the way they make most sense / take least space

Last edited:
To clarify how the wiring works, female connectors provide power, male connectors consume the power. This is true whether you are hooking a device directly to the PSU or if you are daisy chaining devices together.

actually from the U.S. Not a very common name here for sure. Ive been told my ancestors came from germany several generations back, but thats the most anyone in my family knows about it. Ive always wanted to visit holland/netherlands and pretty much all of europe tho. Been saving up money to go for a summer when I graduate from college.

Wachter said:
actually from the U.S. Not a very common name here for sure. Ive been told my ancestors came from germany several generations back, but thats the most anyone in my family knows about it. Ive always wanted to visit holland/netherlands and pretty much all of europe tho. Been saving up money to go for a summer when I graduate from college.

Ah, nice. My last name (Heusschen) is from German origin too. Don't see many like these on the board here. Good luck with the computer :)

I know its a bit late to ask now... but is there any particular reason you bought a very expensive cpu and skimped on other parts?

Was on a budget and needed the works ( keyboard/mouse, printer, etc.) The processor came with a free printer. Figure one hundred bucks more for a printer, double the cache, and a great speed increase...well worth the money.

I don't think the other parts are that bad. RAM is standard, I dont need more than 80GB on the HD, and the vid card will run HL2 and BF2 with no problems at all.

650 was my target, but i ended up spending about 680. Camped out newegg for three months just to get parts when they were on sale or had free shipping going on.

Back