• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My experience with Kingston RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CS_Freak

Registered
Last year I bought, off ebay, a GB of what was BH-5. For $280, I got Kingston KHX3000K2/1G. It wouldn't post at 200MHz. eBay bit my ***. The way the sale went down, there was no complaining (very very irresponsible on my part, i learn and move on.) Since then, I ran it at less than 333MHz because I don't like down time. I game/process too much for that. Even then it was horrible at memtest. I never removed the heatspreaders to see what chips were under the hood.

When my video card broke early August, I was out of a comp anyway, so I decided to RMA the RAM while the video card went to heaven (or hell.) The RAM was shipped August 5th USPS signature confirmation. It arrived August 8th according to USPS track & confirm. Today, August 16th, a week and a day after they received it, I decided to call and see what's up.

Kingston says that if RAM is irrepairable, they will replace it. So when I called, the person told me that I would receive KHX3200AK2/1G. I asked if I had any options, she forwarded me to the tech department.

I had already heard several stories from reading this forum [this is the reason I make this log, so anyone who wants to know about RMAing kingston can find another post to read,] and saw that Kingston was kind of dodgy with their compatability. The tech guy, with an understandable asian accent (take that for what it's worth,) confirmed that I would get KHX3200AK2. I asked if I had a choice of options, but no, I didn't. He then sort of polled me, asking what kind of motherboard I had. Fearing my RMA would be rejected for overclocking, I said "I don't know, it's a Dell." In reailty I own an NF7-S v.2
He replies, "Oh, do you know what HyperX is for?"
"Um, i think overclocking and gaming"
"Yeah, and Dells can't overclock."
"But it's a Dell XPS. It's fast. My friend said it should work fine."
"Oh, but dell doesn't have options to overclock and isn't guaranteed to work with Dells."
"My friend tried it out on his comp, and he spends thousands a year on hardware, and it didn't work on his either. He built his system."

A moot minute later, I was re-affirmed that I would be getting KHX3200AK2/1G in the mail.

From what I've searched, that's CH-5 2-3-2 RAM.
The KHX3000 I had was supposed to run at 374MHz (PC3000) at 2-2-2. After playing the i-own-a-dell card, I didn't want to ask for 2-2-2 RAM.

I'll update this thread when I get the RAM to document the shipping time.

No original receipt or proof of purchase was necessary, everything was done online except the phone call.

Sent to Kingston: Aug 5
Kingston recives: Aug 8
Contact with Kingston: August 18
RAM received: Pending

Update:
Today is Tuesday August 30 and I've yet to receive a thing. I called again.
This time, when I talked to the support person, he said they were waiting for me to choose what I'd like it replaced with (like they gave me a choice.) So they pretty much said what they offered earlier, KHX3200AK2, and I said fine. He agreed to ship overnight after I told him that my RAM had been gone for a month, and that I've been computerless that time (which i haven't, I bought PQI to replace the kingston RAM in case their replacement was value ram.)

Like any support person would, before he ended his call, he asks, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I asked if there was any way to get RAM that could do 2-2-2 timings. Considering my RMA'd RAM supported 370DDR (PC3000) at 2-2-2, I asked if I could get RAM that could do the same speed. After a bout with their hold music, I was ready for round 2: the Kingston engineer. Like the previous call, he casually asked what my system was and turned it into a big deal. This time, knowing what they were looking for, I told them I had an Abit NF7-S. His reply? "Kingston doesn't guarantee your motherboard can run at those specs, no two motherboards are the same..." While he was rambling I went to kingston compatibility list and saw that he was just reading from a script.

Ultimately, they ended up offering KHX3200ULK2/1G, which does 2-2-2 at 3200, exactly what I was aiming for asking for 2-2-2 timings. I said Okay. After that they transferred me to sales, and the lady verified my address, and told me that I'd get it overnight (tomorrow.)

So finally, after all this wait, from August 8th when they received it, three weeks later I'm getting my RAM back. From what I've read, KHX3200ULK2/1G is TCCD.

Last edited:
Back