• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

custom backlit displays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raj Mahal

Registered
Hey,

Anyone know any company online (or otherwise) that makes custom backlit displays like the "THERMALTAKE" logo on the Xaser III? I'd be much better if it said something like "COWABUNGA!" lol.

You can custom make these. Just get a sheet of clear acrylic or plexiglass, etch whatever design you want, then get some leds or a cold cathode and mount it behind the plexiglass or whatever material you used.

Its really easy actually, though i am sure there are some out there...

I have a feeling I would spend way too much time and money trying to etch something and get it exactly how I would want it. If you happen to stumble on any companies that might do it, drop me a PM or post in here. Thanks bro!

Here's an easier way to make a fake backlit display: paper on back of acrylic. First design what you want, then use good sharp knife to cut out the design and paint the rest black. Use rbber cement to mount the design on the back side, mount the fake display on your PC and add CCFL or LED behind it for lights.

Or you could hit eBay and find an LCD display for about $10-$20 and build the cable to connect the display to your PC's port, download LCD software and set it to display your desired message.

holy smokes man. Thats ingenious. I would rather have acrylic though or a sheet of metal if your really skillful with a dremel.

I think the paper would have to be black though. White paper would like pretty odd.

Yeah, they make a lot of different etching bits for the Dremel, I would say if you took your time and etched out a design on some acrylic and put a couple LED's on the edges of it for a lighting effect it would look a lot more classy and add the "custom modded" look that is always good :)

Back