• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power fluctuations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the adam

Hi... my friend's house has power spikes/drops when his washing machine turns on (which causes his PC to reboot). I know that getting an UPS is kind of going around the main problem but they are renting the house and the owners arn't really doing anything about it.

He doesn't feel like spending alot of money so I searched newegg and found this Voltage Stabilizer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16842107125)... now i don't know if he should get that or something else that is actually an UPS. Recommendations are welcomed/needed.

Also I don't know anything about UPS/voltage stabilizers so if this OPTI-UPS company is the POWMAX of UPS's then don't flame me :p

When the washer turns on, does it completely turn off the power, or just a brown out? If its only brown outsthat he has a problem with, those will be fine. Personally, I would get a ups with avr too in case the power completely goes out, but that would be a little mnore expensive (probably at least around $70).

That's because the brownout simulates what the temporary switch does to restart the computer.

There's something wrong with the way your friend's house is wired. I would get an electrician out there to check what's going on, but the lights shouldn't be dimming like that.

That aside, he really should get a nice, small UPS. They can be had for very very cheap at places like Costco and Sams club, and reasonably at circuit city. If he can get free shipping, he might try online vendors as well. Just make sure you go with a quality product. No-name brands tend to go kaput before their time. And aside from providing uninterrupted power, because of the AC-DC-AC-DC switch, UPS's provide superior surge protection. That's the best solution IMO.

ya i know that the lights shouldn't be dimming like that and its going around the main problem...

thx for the suggestions though (I forgot about the shipping on these things). Ill have him look for some good deals.

Back