• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"BIOS Rom Checksum Error" Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BiGhItTeR

Registered
Hey guys,
When I boot up my computer it states this message:

bios rom checksum error
detecting floppy drive A media...
drive A error. system halt

And it doesn't go any farther than that, does anybody know why this is happening. I have looked around and I believe it has to do with the motherboard. Please help.

Specs:
athlon64 3000+ 939 winchester
2x512mb corsair pc4400
mge vigor 500w
thermaltake tsunami silver
74gb raptor
xp120 and 120mm red aspire
powercolor x800xl
dfi lanparty nf4 ultra

Your BIOS is fubared. You need to find a working PC, find the mobo manufactor's web site and get the BIOS image. Check/follow direction on the web site for making a floppy disk of it. Then put the disk in your PC (beg, borrow, or steal a disk drive if you don't have one) and hope it works.

Most modern mobo have BIOS chip soldered in so taking it out for manual reflash on a programmer is usually out of question.

As for why your BIOS went out, it could be anything from an odd surge in power supply to virus and trojan horse. I killed an Elite mobo's BIOS when I turned it on while the mobo connector's was only partially plugged in.

Back