• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this RAM work on my System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gilly3

I've found a site that sells 128mb RAM for $4. It gives the following warning:

THIS MEMORY WILL ONLY WORK ON INTEL BX CHIPSET MOTHERBOARDS!

I have an ASUS P3B-F JumperFree ATX Motherboard. The manual tells be it "Features Intel's 440BX AGPset ...".

Is an Intel 440BX AGBset motherboard an Intel BX Chipset motherboard? Sounds close enough to me, but I don't want to risk it.

Here is the site that's selling the RAM: http://store.yahoo.com/componentauthority/64pcsdramdim3.html

Thanks.

ivan.

Win98se

welcome to the forums. i think the memory would probably be ok for your system. most of the members here get slightly better ram. i just ordered a gig of ram from www.crucial.com. its a bit more expensive but its higher quality and they have free shipping.

Welcome to OC Forums!

Yes, Intel's 440BX AGPset is an Intel BX Chipset motherboard!
So that ram is good for your board!
But you could put better ram on your computer, PC133 also works w/ your board!

Last edited:
It sounds like everyone thinks I should get more RAM and Better RAM. I'm a software guy, and don't know much about hardware. I'm not a gamer, but do use memory intensive programs like Adobe Photoshop. I also frequently use many programs at once (Homesite, IE, FTP, Outlook, Word, Excel).

I have 3 questions:

1. What is the benefit of pc133 RAM instead of pc100 since my motherboard has 100MHz bus?

2. Do I really need an additional 256mb of RAM?

3. What is the benefit of going with a better brand (www.crucial.com) instead of generic?

Thanks for the answers!

ivan.

1. i have a bx board and i run at 124 fsb. i'm hoping the pc 133 ram i ordered will boost me to 133fsb. so basically if your not overclocking then you dont need the pc 133. sometime pc133 is cheaper than pc100 since pc133 is basically the standard and theres a whole lot more of it out there.

2. if your gaming on windows 98 then you really only need about 256 megs total. and you have a p3 450 which is pretty slow. so if your a diehard gamer you probably will want to concider buying a new computer when you can afford it so its not worth spending a ton of money on ram.

3. crucial memory is usually cas2 memory so its faster. but to run at cas 2 you would have to probably replace your other stick of ram too. crucial has a nice webpage that lets you select ram that works best for your motherboard. i believe their ram is guaranteed to work with your system too.

Welcome Gilly, a advantage of having pc133 is that if you do decide to "overclock" it will work, also if you do upgrade you CPU/Mobo you will already have your memory.:D I myself have a pc100 mobo, and am using pc133, works like a charm. We need to know more about your system to help ya, also memory is "downward" compatible so no need to worry.

Photoshop joins a list of programs including Bryce, AutoCAD, and 3DStudioMax that will use every bit of RAM you can throw at them... As DIRT CHEAP as memory is these days, I can't see any reason not to get at least 256Mb...
Peace
John

Back