• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CapsLock and NumLock... in MS-DOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi,

I built 2 computers for my boss, and he wants the computers to start up in MS-DOS with both Capslock and Numlock on. He is using some old dos based program, so i need to find out how to get it working in dos.

I already setup Numlock in the bios to start automatically, but it still is off everytime the computer is started.

Anyone know how i can get both these keys to stay on in DOS?

i tried that solution Electrorcamd, but when i typed in the command in the dos prompt it doesnt understand the command. I dont know how to get it to work.

Well, I like Aaron’s solution. After all, how many times per day is he going to hit a key on the keyboard?

As far as your problem goes, where are you getting a dos prompt from? Is the computer booting directly into dos or are you running a command box (they are slightly different versions of dos so that may be part of the problem)? If you are using dos in a command box, what version of windows are we looking at?

To be honest, it has been quite a while since I worked with dos but from what I remember, each key has an associated scan code and the keyboard buffer reads the codes and passes them to the OS as they come in. Now each scan code is transmitted twice: once when you press a key and once when you release the key (except for cap and num lock). So if you hit google and find the scan code map for a dos keyboard, you can probably toggle them by sending the appropriate codes one time each on startup.

The computers at work dont have any version of windows installed. The program my boss is using is strickly dos based. He bugs me daily about having this problem fixed... i personally have no problem with pressing the capslock and numlock... but he does.

I have the computer setup so that it automatically starts up into his program, which runs off of regular dos.

You might try toggle.zip from here.
I used to have a program that would toggle num lock in DOS, but I don't think I had one for caps lock. What version of DOS is this?
Vio1 said:
i tried that solution Electrorcamd, but when i typed in the command in the dos prompt it doesnt understand the command. I dont know how to get it to work.
Which part didn't work, running debug?

ya running " debug < capson.deb" did nothing... and came up with an error.... didnt understand the command.
I will check what version of dos I put on there today.

Back