• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris215

Alright this is a new computer I'm building for my brother. After plugging all the parts and power supply. It powers on for 1-2 secs then turns off right away. I just got my new Fortron psu but the same problem occurs. I tried taking out parts like video card, network card, and tried to turn it on and still doesn't. Here's the specs and can someone tell me if all the parts are compatible and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Mobo: Chaintech VNF4/Ultra
CPU: 3000+ Venice
Ram: Corsair 512MB DDR 400
Video Card: X300
PSU: FSP400-600THN 400W
HD: 60GB Seagate
Case: ASPIRE X-Dreamer II

Edit:
This sound like a similar problem I have.
http://www.hothardware.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=75&threadid=28763&enterthread=y

Can someone explain to me how he fix his? It might be the solution to mines.

Last edited:
Does your mb have a power off feature if the cpu gets to hot? Your hs might not be making contact to the cpu. That's the first thing I would check. Second make sure you have the pins on the powe switch in the right spot.

don't thing so. I reattch the hs with AS5 and replace cpu but still doesn't work...

I just want to make sure. How many main plugs from the psu connects to the mb only.

Last edited:
Are you using standoffs, or does the case have raised bumps for the mobo to sit on? I can't see from the newegg pics. It could be grounding out to the case.

One main plug to the mobo; either 20- or 24-pin. The PSU should have a pinout diagram; it should only go in one way though. I can't recall the other required leads atm, but your board manual should specify.

Last edited:
I'm not using any standoffs and the 24-pins went in one way.

EDIT:

yes its turns on now. it was because i had the 24 pins and the 4 pins plugged in. thanks Dreamstalker!

what... you are suppose to have both the 24 pin power connecter and the 4 pin connecter plugged in.

You sure the board isnt shorting? Maybe when you unpluged one of the cords you some how stopped it from shorting.

Alright I got the computer turned on. Now it won't boot. It just powers on and stay that way. I'm not sure if its the amd cpu or video card.

are both power connectors plugged in? I don't think he meant only plug one power connector in... I know my motherboard needs 4 different power connectors plugged into the mobo to run properly (you can run with 3 but thats a different story)

Last edited:
let me clear it up. I got the 24 pin and now the 4 pin plugged in and it powers on. But now I'm not sure why it won't boot up as in showing a black screen/no activity. Right now I'm thinking it could be the video card or maybe cpu or hd?

the adam: it just powers on with a black screen doesn't show any sign of activity like if it was to be idle.

Dreamstalker: its really messy.

My main problem is that nothing shows or boot up. It sounds like it run normally and the screen just goes into idle mode. My only guess is it could be the video card or cpu.

Attachments

• VNF4Ultra_L.jpg
    VNF4Ultra_L.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 23
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
another thing I remove the video card and powers on but i notice that there isnt any bios beep. So maybe it could be the mobo that is defective?

alright I think i have to RMA so I'll get back after I rma it.

Thanks for everyone help! I appreciate it.

Refer to post 7, why aren't you using standoffs? Unless your case has the raised humps for the board you need the standoffs. If the board is sitting on the case with nothing under it then the board is shorting out and causing your problems. If this is true i hope you didnt fry anything by turning it on.

Matt

I dont think so, because I didnt know about the standoffs until now.

So shorting is causing my computer not to boot up and send any signal to my monitor?

Last edited:
yes thanks you so much matt taht solved my problem now there is the bios beep and everything.

Back