• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Can You Do With A Home Server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

Im sure im not the only wondering what to do with a old/new computer/server laying around. Pls list specific programs and websites ext.

Folding
Video server
MP3 server
File Storage
Backup
Internet Gateway
Firewall

set it on fire, call the fire department, serve picnic lunch to everyone that arrives. ( :rolleyes: seriously not a good thing to do :) )
and the list will go on forever!
this is just a little of what I use one for.

Fore the firewall what free programs are there for that use? any programs for the other (free programs) ideas?

I only use Smoothwall, and I Love it!! :D:D
I use Windows 2000 Pro, for everything else (on other servers) never really had a use for pay proggies. exception is the video server, I use Beyond TV for the TV recording, but use the off the shelf-with-the-Media adaptor-software to serve Video to all the TVs in the house. (6)-(Hauppage MediaMVP Server)

can you pls explain the video server, its sounds interesting but im not quite sure what your talking about

Basically the possibilities are endless. Smoothwall firewall/router, filer server, web server, mail server. It really depends on your needs and what you want.

You could always install a Linux distro, which would pretty much allow you to do any of the above with a bit of research on how to get the appropriate service up and running.

I host files for work and for access to all of my files from anywhere. The possibilities are endless. "Where do you want to go today?" j/k Is there something you had in mind?

Shellshock, we still have options for your server. Just bypass your mom and im me.

Back