• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory not correctly detected?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dakyris

WARNING: I posted this in 2 forums (memory and mobo) because I'm not sure where this should go.

I recently bought new RAM for my new computer, Corsair TwinX 3200 (2x1024 at 3-3-3-8 1T). But my motherboard (ABit AN8 SLI) detects 2048 mb, single channel, crappy timings (something like 3-5-6-8)... I don't care about the timing I can manually change that but single channel and 2t bother me, a lot... when I try to change the timings the computer hangs and I need to clear the CMOS otherwise it doesn't boot at all...

Anything I can do except use the bad auto settings?

Kerdal said:
WARNING: I posted this in 2 forums (memory and mobo) because I'm not sure where this should go.

If you have already flashed latest BIOS and your mobo can see dual w/ other rams, then the mem sticks are not compatible. try one stick at a time and see if both read same timing when set on auto.

They were in the same package... I thought they were supposed to be tested to be compatible.

I'll try to find out which Bios I'm using, but there was nothing about RAM compatibility in the changelogs... I prefer not touching the Bios when I have no reason to, I'll contact both Abit and Corsair.

Kerdal said:
They were in the same package... I thought they were supposed to be tested to be compatible.

I'll try to find out which Bios I'm using, but there was nothing about RAM compatibility in the changelogs... I prefer not touching the Bios when I have no reason to, I'll contact both Abit and Corsair.

I have read a lot of posts about those SLI mobo's they seem to be picky.
Also some motherboards when newly in market are not fully compatible w/ every available ram in the market. That's why they have a config table for rams. But then as the boards have been around for a few months, the issues and conflicts constantly in process of resulving and upates follow. This is why I said to check and see if new BIOS or for that matter mobo drivers.
Same package doesnt mean much. Many have had same problem you have and the rams are not compatible %100 of time.

Well I fixed it, apparently the ABit AN8-SLI doesn't use a standard configuration, you need to place the RAM in 1-2 or 3-4 to be in dual channel instead of 1-3 and 2-4...

Back