• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shall I build a new desktop or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Odie812

Shall I build a new desktop or not? Please advise...

Hey all,

I have a bit of a predicament. In June I bought a Dell XPS2 notebook because I wanted a nice DTR laptop. Now, in light of a new educational direction I just purchased a little ultraportable Dell i700M for school because I wanted the smaller size and battery life. However, I still want to be able to game a bit, so I am reluctant to sell off the XPS2.

But then I was thinking the other day: "What if I sell the XPS2, build a new (more powerful) desktop, and then still have $600-800 to put in my pocket?"

Does this seem possible? The XPS2 is super tweaked, so I imagine I could pull at least $2200 for it. I would want to build the new desktop for under $1500 including a monitor.

This is what I had in mind:

3000+ Venice
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra
eVga 6800GT
Patriot 1Gb PEP1G3200LL
7200RPM SATA HD
DVD Burner
Chaintech AV710
Dell LCD (wait for a deal)

I also considered taking advantage of the deal eVga has right now on the 7800GT/motherboard combo for $450. In any case, what changes might I make on this? Input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Odie :)

Last edited:
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra $108.50
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX Video Card $525
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor $378
OCZ Technology 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 Enhanced Latency Series Memory Kit $169.00
Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB Hard Drive w/16mb cache $136

Total: $1316

That leaves enough for an LCD screen too, well barely I guess.

Something like that build would be much better then a laptop. If you don't put that extra $600-700 in your pocket, and devote it towards your computer, you'll have a great system. If you spend the money early on for startup costs, it'll be easier then upgrading certain parts later on. You can spend a bit more and get 2GB of ram, and maybe a X2 4400+

don't get an epox mobo. dfi, msi and abit make better, more reliable mobo's than epox does.

darksparkz said:
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra $108.50
eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX Video Card $525
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor $378
OCZ Technology 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 Enhanced Latency Series Memory Kit $169.00
Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB Hard Drive w/16mb cache $136

Total: $1316

That leaves enough for an LCD screen too, well barely I guess.

Something like that build would be much better then a laptop. If you don't put that extra $600-700 in your pocket, and devote it towards your computer, you'll have a great system. If you spend the money early on for startup costs, it'll be easier then upgrading certain parts later on. You can spend a bit more and get 2GB of ram, and maybe a X2 4400+

Thank you, but as I said, the whole idea of this is to be able to game and have some cash left over. So, the whole cost of the system must be ~$1500, therefore the 7800 and X2's are out.

Back