• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4 400fsb s603 xeons in asus pc-dl mobo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juliendogg

As the title says, are socket 604 mainboards compatible with 400fsb socket 603 procs ? I'm using an old intel board in my dually and am thinking of upgrading to the pc-dl so i can have some overclocking features. Any other board recommendations for this setup ? Need some overclocking features and hopefully an agp slot.

J.

juliendogg said:
As the title says, are socket 604 mainboards compatible with 400fsb socket 603 procs ?

J.

Yes they are.

But your OC results might not be too great. I had some 400mhz 2.4s in a dp533 awhile back. Might have just been the e7505 chipset but I could never get up to or past 133mhz FSB. OC ended up being 24 x 120something. I never heard of someone trying one on a 875 board though.

Thanks for the info. PC-DL is still the mainboard of choice for dual xeon ? I'm on a tight budget but i think i can pick up a used one for a good price, and then sell my e7505cw2 for a decent price. Having an AGP slot would be a huge plus for me. the e7505cw2 does not have AGP.

J.

I tried a pair of 2.4GHz (100x24) SL6EP processors in a PC-DL.
Mine wouldn't POST when the FSB jumper was set to 133.
I don't remember the multiplier, but I had it set as low as possible.
I believe the theory is it needs to momentarily POST at the (FSB) x (default multiplier)
That would be about 3.2 GHz with those CPUs
I think the highest I ever saw at POST was around 2.9 GHz using the standard 1.5 V
The best I could get to be stable was about 2.7 GHz

Twin_Turbo said:
I believe the theory is it needs to momentarily POST at the (FSB) x (default multiplier)
I think the highest I ever saw at POST was around 2.9 GHz using the standard 1.5 V

that'd hardly be worth swapping mobo's for eh ? Thanks for the info.

J.

Are your CPUs the same as mine? SL6EP
There are other nice features on the PC-DL that you might want/like
AGP, USB2, Firewire, SATA
I know that you mentioned that you are on a tight budget.
I don't know the difference in price between the PC-DL and selling your board.

Twin_Turbo said:

i had some 2.4ghz D1 400mhz fsb xeons in a ncch-dl and i could run them at 3.1ghz (i believe they were SL6W8)

i set the jumper to 133 and then raised the fsb to 165 with a lower multiplier like 16-17 and then raised the fsb some more in windows with clockgen...i think to around 180-190mhz, iirc

Back