• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAVI seems possessed...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

Navi is starting to do what my laptop was doing over the summer. I have WinXP and Netscape 7.2.

If I bring up the menu (right-click) for a program loaded in the system tray, the menu will stay there (I have to hit "exit" or that menus equivalent 2-3 times before it finally takes, and at least one will refuse to go away at all). Applications will often start minimized in the taskbar, and it takes 3 or 4 clicks on the minimized window before it actually maximizes itself. This appears to be an OS problem, as some programs work fine and others do the above silliness. My AVG email scanner also will turn itself off randomly. Scans come up clean.

At first I thought something was overheating (that's what the culprit was on the laptop), but my temps are within the normal range (both AsusProbe and MBM report as OK). My front case fan filter was cleaned last week, but it appears to need replacing/another cleaning already :bang head and I can see some dust on the rear fan bezel.

Navi's due for a round of upgrades/fiddling (wiring rat's nest that must be dealt with, for one) anyway; I move into my permanent campus apartment this weekend.

My desktop; specs in sig. Rebooting seems to clear things up at least for a while; I did notice earlier that I have two instances of FAH running in addition to Einstein@home (whoops). Killing one FAH instance puts things back to normal (or so it seems), but now EMIII's refusing to find my FAH directory. Yay :bang head

I've now determined that two instances of FAH plus one instance of Einstein was what was causing things to flip out. One FAH instance has been killed (but keeps coming back; we'll see if that is in fact the problem).

The only legit copy of XP I have is an upgrade; waiting on the reformat issue until all else fails.

I'm fairly sure that if you disable the 2nd FAH in Services, it won't start up with your pc. Just closing the process will close it for now, but it comes back.

Back