• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

? about replacing UPS battery.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dwschoon

My office has an APC UPS model BackUps 400 that has a bad battery. They bought a new UPS and the old was going to be trashed until i asked for it. I dont have a UPS and thought i could buy a battery cheaper than a new unit. The battery inside has model# ps-1265 on it and I found a site that lists ps-1270 as compatible. I have also looked on ebay and found many other power rated batteries that were the same physical size. My question is, what would happen if i put a battery in it that was rated higher than the original. Also, does anyone have any idea how long the orinial size battery is supposed to power a computer?

depends how many watts your computer draws. My 500VA Backup is rated for only 320W. Not enough usually to power the normal rig for more than 1-3minutes

dwschoon said:
According to that site i use 186 watts. Is that at full load?
"These are peak wattages. Even under full load, actual consumption is usually less than these figures."

IIRC replacing (and disposing of) UPS batteries is difficult. You can get them, but in some cases the battery isn't all that's dead. Did it fry, or do you know for a fact that the only bad part is the battery?

Navi uses 300W (rounded up; actual is 294) according to that site. Bookmarked for furture use :D

I dont think it is fried. It just has an alarm if you switch to battery, and it doesnt power the computer anymore. I think the battery is at least 5 years old.

My question is, what would happen if i put a battery in it that was rated higher than the original.
Some people have wired car batteries to UPSes to get more runtime. It would be fine in most cases. Just make sure the voltages are the same.

Back