• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unsafe: Comp Near Large Sub?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xace

I have my shuttle sitting right on top of my 12" Sub. Aren't sub's just large magnets? I was wondering if I should be worried about it damaging my harddrives. All coments and suggestions welcome =D thanks

I know my speakers came with a warning right on the sub, so i would try to keep it at least 12" away. I keep mine a little over 14" away and i haven't had any problems. Some people have even commented that's to close.

I recently read an article in a magazine and they did a test. You would need an extremely POWERFUL magnet to even make a slight effect on a harddrive. theyplace a large subby next to a running computer and everything went smoothly. I would say, don't put it on top, it probably won't cause any damage, but it just might so don't.

i have a sub iwthin 15-20" from my pc and nothing bad EVER happened.

Don't worry about it, at all. I have had huge subwoofers right next to all of my hard drives, and while they'll DESTROY a monitor, they don't affect the hard drives at all.

yeah, I had a huge sub touching the outside of my case and I never had a problem with HDDs or monitors.

I would be more concerned with the shaking that the sub is probalby going to be doing more that the magnet. Its probably magnetically shielded anyways.

aeiou said:
I would be more concerned with the shaking that the sub is probalby going to be doing more that the magnet. Its probably magnetically shielded anyways.
What, the sub? Almost never.

lol wow glad i read this thread, ive had my sub next to my monitor for a while cause im in a cramped space and liked the conveinience of having the volume near me

hope i didnt mess up my monitor too bad

Raedon said:
lol wow glad i read this thread, ive had my sub next to my monitor for a while cause im in a cramped space and liked the conveinience of having the volume near me

hope i didnt mess up my monitor too bad

It would be visable if its affecting the monitor.

That's another good point to make - be careful of any sort of powerful magnet close to your monitor. Like, say, a television.

Had an older crt monitor (4 years or so) next to an ancient (read: 14+ years) TV. You could actually see the picture on the monitor being skewed slightly from the magnetic force the television was generating. Both the monitor and the television are dead now, could be due to this or just to being old.

Regardless, I keep them much farther apart now... and my desk still has a noticeable bend in it (huzzah for particle board!).

That said, I wouldn't worry about the hard drives as such - they already have serious magnets in them - but be sure to maintain that 12 inches or so, just in case. Used to be a lot of threads about this... do a forums search for... think it was "earth magnets" or something like that, if you want more.

Back