• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestions for air cooled engineering sample P4 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

So I've decided to rejoin the ranks of the overclocking with my stumbling on a engineering sample P4 prescott lga775 model 561 processor. I've been out of the loop for a VERY long time (almost 2 years), and my last few overclocked rigs were AMD...

I've tried looking through our motherboard section for suggestions, but it's literally greek to me now. I'm a tad ashamed to say I don't know **** about the latest/greatest boards.

Memory is easier - corsair xms or something comparable will work as I only need 240mhz bus to get 4ghz, my target OC. This will be on air, so I'm not looking for much more.

Looking for suggestions. TIA

if you want agp/ddr, take the DFI LanParty 875-T for the mobo
if you want pci-e/ddr2- ask someone else....:D i dont know pci-e

hainer36 said:
if you want agp/ddr, take the DFI LanParty 875-T for the mobo
if you want pci-e/ddr2- ask someone else....:D i dont know pci-e

Has to be PCI-e. I have a 7800GTX.

Uh, so there's no way to overclock a P4 prescott on a pci-e board?? I'm just looking for hardware suggestions, not for you to overclock the cpu for me!

asus p5wd2
corsair pc5400ul/pc8000ul or mushkin pc6400 is best. or for LESS money you can get the ram i have which will max out your board's fsb @ 4-4-4-12 or so.

remember you have 14-18x so you can run higher fsb :)

also, you want a good psu with 24pin atx and 8pin p4

I have a neopower 480 (antec) I recently purchased that should handle just about anything I (think) could run on air.

Price is a little bit of an obsticle. Trying to keep around $350 for ram and mobo... the p5wd2 supports DDR2 but the samsung 3200 DDR2 I have right now probably won't oc very far. I've heard asus boards are noted for voltage drops under load (more than average)... I'll assume this isn't true, otherwise you wouldn't recommend it (but thought to ask anyway just to be certain). I've had good experienced with the better abit boards, and despite my current MSI board's inability to overclock, it's otherwise a very solid board for a great price. Does msi or abit make a similar product?

Also, I'm using dual ATA133 drives in raid and probably have little reason to go sata right now. No ata raid support with the p5wd2 :(. It looks great in most respects... I could probably do without raid though...

Last edited:
this asus doesn't droop, so much so they didn't even develop a vdroop mod for it (amazing i know). it's a very nice board. you could give the abit 955x a whirl but there are mixed reports about it :(

p5wd2-premium + 2gb pqi = ~$400. 2gb ram is very nice :)

crimedog said:
p5wd2-premium + 2gb pqi = ~$400. 2gb ram is very nice :)

2GB may be a tad overkill for my uses. I had 2GB at one time, even ran the OS without a page/swap file, but ended up finding little use for that feature and sold the extra ram.

Thanks for the info :). I'll price the asus board and see what I can do...

Is PQI really THAT good? :p

Pinky said:
Is PQI really THAT good? :p

nah, it's not. the 3ns micron d9 fatbody ram is MUCH better, but you can't run much over 350mhz 1:1 and there's little point running a divider. considering you can get twice as much ram at the same usable speed with looser timings for less money i think it's a bargain.

you can get the asus board for $190 shipped
which leaves $160 for any ram you want... (id get two gigs of pqi :D )

crimedog said:
nah, it's not. the 3ns micron d9 fatbody ram is MUCH better, but you can't run much over 350mhz 1:1 and there's little point running a divider. considering you can get twice as much ram at the same usable speed with looser timings for less money i think it's a bargain.
I couldnt agree more. I loved my Mushy PC6400 but it did very little for me in terms of peformance. High capacity is where its at right now.

Back