• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Justifying building (or buying) my own PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stavros

Alrighty, I'm not sure where this goes, but if I screwed up and put it in the wrong subject, please change.

Ok, I've been itching to build (or buy) my own PC. Mainly for gaming, but not necessicarily top-of-the-line components. Right now I'm using a family computer (a Dell) that isn't worth a crap (except for surfing the web, chatting, ect. Nothing very intensive). I've been wanting to play some good games that doesn't lag this thing every 5 seconds (e.g. Warcraft, Diablo 2,And probably some new(er) games like Battlefield2, Half Life and Half Life 2). I've had a list made out of computer components (SFF and it was last updated July 7th, so it will be due for an update in the near future).

Anyway, the point of this post is that my parents are against blowing my money on a good computer. (The Catch: This is money that I've saved for 4 or 5 years and will be gone and I don't have a job to replenish the money.) Forutnately, my dad backs me up by claiming its my money and I have every right to blow it no matter how against it he is. My mom, on the other hand, just wants me to put it all away in a savings account that I have no control over (which, naturally, ****es me off) and gave me some bull**** excuse for doing so. My dad urges me to get a laptop, but I'm not willing to spend that much money and not get as good quality as I can with a desktop. I'm going to be using this computer when I get into college seeing as I'm a Senior in highschool. Also, correct me if my reasoning is wrong (though I'm sure I'm correct). I can use that gaming computer for work (i.e. work that college requires). I kind of need a reason for building my own and I'm out of ideas. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Here's the list that will be updated in the near future.

Case-ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL/420 Black/Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case w/ 420W Power Supply
$89.00

Mobo-MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$86.00

Video Card-MSI RX800XL-VT2D256E Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card
$292.00

PSU-FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A ATX12V 500W Power Supply
$91.00

CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSP Socket 939 Processor
$190.00

Thermal Paste-Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
$7.99

RAM-mushkin SP3200 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory x2
$168.00

Hard Drive-HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 0A31636 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive
$123.00

Optical Drive-NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A
$42.49

Total-$1089.48
(Also list anything I might need for building)

Also, would it be wiser to build in a mid-tower, or a SFF case? Here's another catch: I'll be transporting it between two houses.

You can probably build a computer that will play current games for less money than that, and you can at least find better prices on some of those components if you shop around. I have seen the AX500, and the X800XL for cheaper prices in other places, as well as some other things.

My non-computer geek advice would be to get a laptop. When you get to college, I think you will be unhappy that you chose a desktop. It's really useful to have the portability of a laptop, and depending where you are attending, most everybody will have one.

Last edited:
I say no to a laptop...they're just not needed at college. I was an EE in college and not once would I wanted to have a laptop in class.
As for your computer....
I could probably put together a much better computer for the cash, you componenets seem overpriced. Also what monitor and speaker/headphones do you have? don't forget those.

As for what would be wiser a SFF or mid tower....I really don't have a problem carrying a mid tower...if you do get the antec lanboy case...it's a mid tower with a carrying strap, looks good, has great airflow, and costs same or less thatn what you listed.

My advice on compnents...goto newegg refurbs and find the mobo and vid card, you can get a 6800Gt or U for 300 there, and a nice DFI mobo for 90. For RAM is that two 1gb sticks for 2gb total or 2x512 for 1tb total? if it's only 1gb it's not good at all...but 2gb is good for that price and I recommend it.

If you don't have a monitor I suggest finding a 17" LCD...an LCD is very nice for college and for 200-250 you can get one that doesn't ghost.

*edit*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122209R
230 bucks, and a much better video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152R
same price as your mobo, but a much better...if your not OCing then get one even cheaper and save another 30 bucks

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BP
this is a 3000+ venice for 120, spend another 40 on the HSF and your golden.

So those 3 right there save ya close to 150 bucks, with that upgrade RAM maybe, or get a larger LCD (the dell 20.1" widescreen LCD can be had for under 400).

Last edited:
Actually, I probably won't stay in a dorm because I live 15-20 minutes away (if that) from the Junior College I'm going to be attending. Also, the University I'm going to be going to is about a 30 minute drive, so I really don't see the use in having a laptop.

I'm not suprised some of it is overpriced. However, I did get my prices off of Newegg in July, so price adjustments have not been made.

I was shooting for a 17" monitor, mainly for portability. Besides the monitor that I'm typing on (which is a 17" monitor) is big enough for me. To me anything more is just money wasted.

About the 6800GT: Will it even fit in the X-QPack? One of the main things I'm a little hesitant to jump right in is will everything fit into that case. So far I haven't encountered anyone who has had much experience with the ASPIRE X-QPack. Also, will a standard ATX PSU fit in the case?

RAM: two gigabyte sticks (2 x 1 GB sticks).

Case size: My car (Scion tC) doesn't have much trunk space, so I'm leaning towards the ASPIRE.

The DFI mobo you picked out won't fit in the ASPIRE, but if I went with the Super Lanboy, I'm sure it would fit.

Someone told me that once I get past the 1 gig RAM mark the difference between value and high performance RAM varies only slightly.

I was looking at the DiamondMax10, but someone (I can't remember who) convinced me to put the Deskstar on the list instead of the DiamondMax10.

hmmm didn't look at the case you picket out at all....I would say ditch it, the lanboy is only 2" taller and that's nothing.

If your going small go SFF, not microATX cuz that's just 2" shorter than mid towers (same other dimensions). And with SFF your gonna be paying a premium and it's gonna be cramped.

I'm confused. Isn't the X-QPack a sff case? Is mATX and SFF the same thing because I thought they were.

The Lanboy's dimensions are 16.5" x 17.1" x 8.2" as opposed to the X-QPack's 9" x 10.2" x 14".

Oh. What would you reccommend I do build from a barebones or build from scratch? I don't think all the parts would fit in a SFF case.

I would build from scratch, and choose a moderately sized case. If you don't need it to be really portable that is. If you do, I would go with a SFF or laptop. In either case you are going to be limited in some way to retain the portability. If you want the full performance, just get any decent sized ATX case like a Lian Li PC-60 or something in that size range. Trunk space shouldn't be an issue with any normal sized ATX desktop.

yeah...I'd say get that lanboy i was talkin about....it's not that much bigger at all.

I've been thinking and I'm still not sure all the parts I picked out would fit in the X-QPack. I'm still not sure which case I'll be getting, but I need to know if they will or not so I can keep it on the list of possible cases.

I'm not sure about video card lengths, but as long as the case accepts microATX and the motherboard is microATX then it's fine....but as I said earlier, I would really avoid the microATX case. Theres no real reason for it, if you have a car...even a miata you can fit a monitor and case...mid tower or micro ATX.

I would just get an atx case. They aren't that much larger.
If you really need portability, I would get a high end desktop replacement laptop. Something with a nice vidcard and a Dothan.

Build your computer, use a normal ATX Mid-Tower, and if you're going to be moving it around a lot, don't put it in your trunk, put it in the backseat with a pillow with a seatbelt is great way for transporting computers around.

-1cem4n

hmm if you're on a budget, i think you might want to skimp on some stuff, but keep others the same.

case: cheap maxtop with good airflow. i have it, it's good $44 shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811150017

HD: seagate 120gb ATA or SATA $84 shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148022

vid card: X800. not the most powerful, but decent. $184 shipped before $30 MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127176

Mobo: Chaintech VNF4 ULtra from newegg or zzf, $85 shipped

CPU: 3000 venice retail, $146 or less shipped

RAM: a gig of something, i don't know much about ram. let's say $100 = 1 gig

PSU: Fortron something, $50. i got a fsp350-60thn off of ewiz for $50 i think

old optical drives, speakers, mouse and keyboard...

total= $700 shipped, after MIR $670

add a 17" LCD for $250 and you have everything basically for $1000

now this won't be the best pc on the block, but i think everyone will agree it will be pretty competent. take off 512mb of ram and get a 80gb HD and save around $70 without losing much performance. potentially, you could have all of it for $600. getting a better vid card would be the area you'd want to spend more. that 6800GT looks like a great deal.

good luck, i know what it's like to build a pc on a budgie :)

well if you want a notebook, you can get a dell i9300 with a 6800go for about $1200 with some of dell's coupons.

if you're set on a desktop though, you seem to have a pretty good outline of what you're geting already :)

My choices for a 1,100 setup would be.

-3000+ Venice
-6600gt
-1gb(512x2) of OCZ Gold PC3200
-Fortron 530w PSU
-Epox nForce4 Ultra Motherboard
-WD SATA3 160gb hd
-NEC DVD-RW

If you already have a monitor, ditch the 6600gt and get the 6800gt. I don't really know which monitors are good but I like my Samsung SyncMaster 930b(it is 400-something dollars though). I didn't include a case because I feel that the case is a personal preference and that the things you should look for are, at least 2x 120mm fans and aluminium chassis. I recommend a Lian-li or an Antec P160. I personally use an Antec P180.

-1cem4n

I'm pretty much dead set on getting a desktop/sff...whatever. This was mainly to get an idea of how much people were for or against the desktop/mATX/SFF idea. Crap. I just remembered that I forgot to mention I'd occasionally take it on a 5 hour trip to Florida. Anyway. Thanks for the input.

Back