• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everyone with an IC7 can help me, Please! OS setup currently

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NuBie

Registered
Howdy all, PLEASE HELP ME GET THROUGH HURDLES YOU've BEEN THRU!

Shtuff: 3.4E XP90C on IC7-Max2, 1GB (2x512) OCZ PC3200 EL 2225, Copper sinks on all fets, BFG6800Ultra w/Zalman VFC700-cu, 2x36GB Raptors on Intel and 2x250GB Hitachi SATA on SIL onboard conroller. A T-Load of lights all in a custom (self) made 2ft x 2ft x 1ft high acrylic case (28 fans in all) 3 tornados etc. etc. etc. 2 power supplies (Powerstream 520 for the puter, and Thermaltake Butterfly for lights and fans)

Situation: Its taken me far too long to build the case alone; now its done and I am looking for any and all answers/reccommendataions that poeple have already come accross.

Main question: since I'm setting up the OS today, yeah its XP, and no don't rouse me about it... I game and XP has been better at gaming than 2K on my last rig ( a 2.8Northy on 845DEBG2 w/ a 9700Pro). SO, what's the reccommended configuration for setting up the OS with my drive layout?
I'd like to stripe the raptors and mirror the Hitachis for storage redundancy, but I'm not sure if there's a better reccommendation, perhaps that of putting the OS on the hitachis and using the raptors ( in stripe or singly) for the page file. Granted I hope not to need to much of a page file, but newer games either require it by default or by demand (actually will make use of it).

Other questions: As far as OC'ing, the GAT should be set to A,D,A,D,D, A,A,A,A,A or (what I'd been told more frequently: A,A,A,D,D) Aside from this, what other things should be set specifically. I've read over the sticky before, and applied some if not all of those bios reccomendations, but I've still had memory stability problems (using memtest86 3.2) tried 2.7 and 2.8V at 2225, and it seems to fail even at 210 and these things were supposed to pull off ~217 I'd hoped. I had RMA'd a set of Kingston UL2K/1G 2225 because I'm certain one of the chips was bad (tried in buddies machine so I'm sure) and I have a new pair unopened, but I'd bought the OCZ's in the mean time since they were supposed to be better.

Long story short, (yeah I know I don't shut up), I'm not looking for a short cut, but any and all info peeps can spare would give me will get me past some initial headaches over small stupid things that I'd rather not beat my head against the wall over. Whew!

GAT should be either A,A,A,D,D or A,N,A,D,D. Don't get too hung up on RAM timings. Just use whatever setting gives you the highest O/C. With the IC7, you might have to raise the RAS to CAS delay one notch above the rest at higher FSB (like 2-3-2-5). I would put your OS on the fastest drives. Page file is open to debate, but I always use the same drive as the OS, but make it a fixed amount.

Back