• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket 7 amd duallie?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I wouldn't recomend using K6's...at this point in time they are at the end of there life cycle. I've been volunteering at a school that had a bunch of K6's and they are dying left and right.

But if you want to build a k6 smp. I have 3 k6 chips just sitting around with no mobo if they support smp you can have them(if you pay shipping).

But I know that all 3 of my K6's have overheaded multiply times...in fact the only one that I know works only worked if I had a box fan blowing on the case with the side pannel off it.

No, never heard of a dual socket 7 setup. Just buy some cheap pentium pro's on ebay and dual motherboard for them. Even running at only 233Mhz each one will outperform any socket 7 cpu, even 550Mhz k6-III's. Each one is about an even matchup for a 500Mhz p2 because of it integrated cache and excellent design. I have 2 of them. Well, not after today. I kept one cpu and threw the other along with the memory and motherboards away.

I'd try to find a socket 8 SMP board (Pentium-Pro). I have a dual 200mhz, and it runs xp pretty smoothly. Its no good at games and is a bit slow to play some compressed movies, because it lacks MMX, but they are pretty fast otherwise. You can often get them for free.

Yuriman said:
I'd try to find a socket 8 SMP board (Pentium-Pro). I have a dual 200mhz, and it runs xp pretty smoothly. Its no good at games and is a bit slow to play some compressed movies, because it lacks MMX, but they are pretty fast otherwise. You can often get them for free.

Do you know of any available boards that will run 4 ppro 200's? I have 4 laying around and would like to put em to use.
I just put together a dual AMD 1.2 system with the S2460 motherboard. HOLY HELL! I had to use my gaming rig's power supply to power this dam thing!!! :bang head
I guess I will purchase another PS for the gaming machine. BLAH!!!

To answer the original question, yes they do support SMP as do corresponding Cyrix chips, but in a different way to Intel chips at the time. Intel chips did (and still do) use the Intel APIC standard for interrupt handling. Prior to the K7, AMD used the OpenPIC standard for interrupt handing, though with the K7 presumably they decided the licencing costs of Intel APIC were worth it.

There were some OpenPIC SMP-capable chipsets developed, the most commonly referred to being the VIA Apollo VP2 (later rebadged as the AMD 640). I don't know of any dual socket7 boards that made it to market. Probably due to an inferior bus to the PPro/P2 SMP design (and maybe Intel putting up very persuasive arguments to the board manufacturers too ;) ). I know there was talk of dual socket-7 boards reaching functional prototype stages but I've never seen any photos or evidence of such boards existing.

hagrid said:
Do you know of any available boards that will run 4 ppro 200's? I have 4 laying around and would like to put em to use.
I just put together a dual AMD 1.2 system with the S2460 motherboard. HOLY HELL! I had to use my gaming rig's power supply to power this dam thing!!! :bang head
I guess I will purchase another PS for the gaming machine. BLAH!!!

ALR made a quad PPro board that was fairly popular to hobbyists a few years back. I'm not sure the exact name of it, but a Google search for "ALR quad" may net some results (may even search this forum unless the threads are so old they didn't transfer - I remember a couple having them though). Basically, you're going to want to look for something with the Intel 450GX chipset as this is either all that will be available or worth getting.

Only problem in finding one of these boards is locating VRMs for it. They are often difficult to come by and not very cheap (and they're probably even used or reconditioned).

Good luck.

Back