• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking...Recommended Order

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

el_leumas

Registered
Overclocking...Recommended Order

Let's say I want to overclock my computer. In what order should I start to get the best performance? CPU/RAM first? Or gfx card first?

Well what is your current system.

If you want to OC your video to obtain better video, then get a new video card, if cpu for faster processing, then get a new CPU. But it all depends on what you currently have.

If you have anything above Value ram, you'd be fine for ram. Probably getting the video card in 3-4 weeks is the best choice, especially for 6800GTs dropping to $199.

I say do video first, because OC'ing your CPU and RAM is a more percise and time consuiming job. Heck with your video card if you want to do it fast and easy get something like ATI tools (or the Nvidia equivilant) and run the auto overclock feature, it will find your max memory and core speed pretty fast while all the while checking for artifacting so you know it's stable. Your CPU and RAM are a different story so I'd do them second cause that takes more of your time and attention and it's nice to get one thing outa the way before moving on to the second.

TalRW said:
I say do video first, because OC'ing your CPU and RAM is a more percise and time consuiming job. Heck with your video card if you want to do it fast and easy get something like ATI tools (or the Nvidia equivilant) and run the auto overclock feature, it will find your max memory and core speed pretty fast while all the while checking for artifacting so you know it's stable. Your CPU and RAM are a different story so I'd do them second cause that takes more of your time and attention and it's nice to get one thing outa the way before moving on to the second.
yeah, precisely what I thought so too. Dont want to have too many loose ends lying around...

thanks for that piece of advice...

Back