• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98se memory restrictions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harm88

Registered
I've heard here and elsewhere that windows 98se will not run with more than 512 MB of RAM. Is that true? I tried to add an additional 512 MB today and wondows gives a protection fault. My computer posts and tallies up the memory correctly, but freezes at the windows start up screen.

There is a way to make it see more than 512, but
you have to make some changes to system.ini or
something.

There was another thread a few weeks ago that had
the instructions buried in it somewhere, but I don't
recall exactly what they were.

So far 512 has been all I have ever needed. (more even !)

It's not so much that it won't RUN, but that you don't see the increased performance, really above 256MB. The memory code in Win9X differs from the code in NT/2K/XP. The problem was that Windows 9X could only cache up to 256MB of RAM, and for some odd reason, it starts at the end of memory. Therefore, you could actually LOSE performance 'upgrading' from 256MB to 512MB because the Uncached RAM (from 257-512Mb) were being used first. There have been all kinds of workaround attempts for this, but I haven't found one that works for 100% of people 100% of the time other than to go to an NT based OS (2000 or XP) or *nix.
As far as a GPF after installing an additional 512MB, are the memory sticks both of the same brand, Speed/CAS rating, etc? If not, the newer 512MB module may not be able to run as fast as the one you already had in there. Most PC-133 512MB modules that I have seen are only rated CAS3, if you have a 256MB CAS2 module in there, and memory timings set up for it, then you could have problems, including your GPF.
*Deep Breath* (God I'm long winded today... :D)
So anyway, post a lil bit more bout your mobo, bios settings, other module, etc and I'm sure we'll be able to help more effectively.
Peace
John

Arrgghhh my sig doesn't work, here's the details

1.4/266 Athlon
Shuttle AK32
512 pc133------>1GB????? if possible
Win 98SE
Maxtor 6 GB 7200 RPM
Creative 32 MB GF2
Creative Soundblaster PCI

I'll have to check into the memory speeds you mentioned. I'm at work. Thanks for the good info. Any other advice is appreciated. Getting XP on the 25th!!!(?)

I highly doubt it's a problem any more, but some mobos of the past couldn't address more than one 512MB module. Something about bank density. Kinda like how you have 3 DIMM Slots most likely. There ARE 1GB Dimms available, but your System probably maxes out at 1.5GB of Ram (3 512mbs). Similar situation, but before, systems would max out at 768MB which could be 3 256MBs, or 1 512MB and 1 256MB... Like I said, probably not an issue with a newer Shuttle Athlon board, but it was something else I thought of...
Peace
John

My board has the following DIMM sockets

2X 168-pin DIMM 1.5Gb SDRAM PC100 - PC133 - VCM

OR

2X 184-pin DIMM 1.5Gb DDR SDRAM PC1600/PC2100

I'm still wondering about some kind of Windows problem. I've heard this more than once. Maybe it's time to buy PC2100.

It's the OS. You can fix it by setting your max & min VCache to 512MB & it should work. Go here for more details.

Last edited:
Hmmmm
I give up. The more I read about the subject, I'm learning that I really don't need more than 512 MB. The fix on the MS page (handy website, I'm an *** for not knowing about it) you sent me allowed Windows to start, but it was unstable and made my comp do some very strange things. I'm gonna go get my money back and take my girlfriend out to dinner instead :D.

Thanks for everyones help!

LoL,,Well taking her out sounds like a good idea..

I have always ran the 9x platforms with 768 megs of ram..The issue is memory addresses available.The mod reduces the addresses available to The O/S which by default is quite high.

For anyone thinking the windows correction does not make for better usage of ram above 512 you are wrong.Simply because when u limit the O/S availibilty of Memory addresses It Is FORCED to use the physcial ram resorces.

The only reason u may not use more than 512 will be the fact that almost no programs demand that much ram to function.....But a 9X Platform can and will manage up to 1 gig of ram if you do as Micro Soft instructs.Besides Braging rights have there place too LMAO>>>>>

windows 98SE can take up to 1GB of ram, for systems with more than 1GB of ram there is a hack to make win98se see all the ram.
but that's just silly to have a gb or more of ram, on a win98 machine, it's even almost overboard for win2k systems.
I have 768mb in my win2k pro machine,
I do have 1gb of ram in my server though which runs freebsd and needs to stay up/online 24/7

Im glad a read this, I will have 3 systems by spring running at least 512 meg of memory

Duron 1ghz WinMe on Abit Kg7 lite
Athlon Tbird 1ghz Win2k on Epox 8KHA+
Athlon Tbird 1ghz Win2k or Me on Abit KT7E

Back