• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recomend me a system for my job

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

Ok i work at Charleys Steakery for 6 dollars an hour (or 6.50, i think its 6 though) so ya what would be a good system, that wouldnt take too long to work for

i work 3 days a week, 5hours a day, so basically 180 every paycheck

So ya what parts should i get? i wanna get all the parts as quick as possible :yawnsigh

So ya i want an a64, pci mobo

Im thinking 3000 Venice, and either a cheaper mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123236

or a dfi ut nf4 ultra?

And ill prob get retail, about the same price for oem and retail (for proc) and ill get a xp90

So really i just dunno what ram and what video card i should get (cant be too cheap, but cheap enough/good enough for a good oc (around the 2.5ghz area)

I work at Sesame Place for the same salary so I feel your pain man. Below is some stuff that shouldn't take a long time to save up for.

Refurb MSI K8N Neo4 SLI A64 Mobo - $79.95
Refurb A64 3000+ Venice - $130.40
2X eVGA 6600GTs - $308.00
OCZ Value 1GB (2x512- DDR 184-pin RAM - $89.95
Aspire X-Plorer ATX Midtower - $58.00
Antec SmartPower 2.0 450W PSU - $69.00
Sony IDE DVD-ROM Drive - $15.50

Grand Total: $750.80

That seemsl like a decent system for the price if you don't mind refurb. In my opinion, Newegg refurb is pretty good so I would suggest it to save some money. If I forgot anything or there are incompatible parts let me know.

well thing is about some refurbs, like the venice, its only waht 10-15 bucks less, and can crap out on you too

But ya, i already got a case, and ill be using my fortron blue storm ax500

but ya thats only about 600, and its sli also (i dont really want to get sli, since its expensive, but thats pretty cheap though

Well, how much are you planning to spend on it, cause you told us your paycheck but not how much of that is going towards your computer.

The Epox board is a good choice for OCing as well. The AMD 3000+ is fine. I too don't recommend SLI, a single 6800GT can beat both 6600GTs, so go for the new price changes on 6800GT at $199 a piece.

well i think 600-700 is enough, but i would like to get it as FAST AS POSSIBLE!!!! lol

$5.15 is pretty low.

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Motherboard $103.00
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor $272.00
Corsair 1GB Value Seris $89.00
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card $298.00

Total: $762

That's not including HDD or monitor though...not even CD drive, I'm assuming you might have those. If not, drop down to a 3200+ and get the extra things.

darksparkz said:
$5.15 is pretty low.

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Motherboard $103.00
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor $272.00
Corsair 1GB Value Seris $89.00
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card $298.00

Total: $762

That's not including HDD or monitor though...not even CD drive, I'm assuming you might have those. If not, drop down to a 3200+ and get the extra things.
crap....the exact corsair 1gb value series here in my country costs roughly USD$117....

I think you'all are thinking to hard:

A64 motherboard with PCI-e: $100
3000+ Venice: $150
6600GT or 6800NU/GT PIC-e: $125-200
XP-90: $25
I'd also get a new power supply: $50-75

With that your looking at $450-550. If you save your money hardcore you'll have a new rig in a month

Then just transplant everything else you need from your old rig. Anything else can be upgraded later, but that will give you a good rig to start with.

ya thing is, the rig in my sig, with a 6600gt now, ill be using in my "Lan" case

and i dunno if my raidmax 420w can handle the 6600gt (ran fine with 9800 pro, and flashed, and my cpu oced, and it wont be oced any more)

should ijust get a 6800 le and unlock them pipes?

man 700 for a 3700 thats cheap

ya dont need monitor, just hard drives, im thinking just one big drive, or 2 160s or somethin, but ill get those later

i get payed bi weekly most likely, so is that basically, every other week?
i started working on the 16th, when should i get payed?

what sucks is im gonna be geting gas like every week or every 1 1/2 weeks, and gas is 2.30 a gallon or so

also im gonna save up for a month, after i get my new comp and get like a 20 lcd, there only about 300 right?

lol scratch that, make that a 19, 20 inch ones are around 500 lol

Last edited:
Minimum wage here is $7.10 I think. I would put off getting a new rig for a while and just save up. It's going to hard to get one very soon at that rate with normal expenses factored in. I would make sure everything else in under control before upgrading your rig, which is pretty decent itself.

I heard (but don't quote me on it) that minimum wage should be bumped up to $7 because of the economy's health. I'm not sure, so don't quote me.

Bboy_Jon said:
well im not really upgrading, im getting a whole new comp
I know, but your current rig in your signature (which I assume you still have) is still quite decent and can play current games pretty well. I was suggesting that you save up until a rig is more in your price range. There's no reason you couldn't buy one for the same price as you are looking at, I just wouldn't want to pressure your limited income that way. Of course, it's your decision, and if you decide to do it, the suggestions so far have been solid and should do nicely if you build it.

Back