• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor sleep....too much ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hi guys. im curious if sleeping the monitor too often can hurt it.

this week my left dell monitor kept making this chirping noise when it was powered on or down, the screen would jump like crazy now and then...and today, when i turned it on, made a weird humming noise...the high voltage noise of "dont play with it, youll get hurt"

so i quickly shut it off and removed it.

so after i went on the junkpile and grabbed another, i notice my sony trinitron HD monitor shows flickering white lines on the top left as its waking up..

My power scheme is hard drives always on, monitors sleep after 45 minutes. I upped it to an hour.

The HDDs are always on, because accessing them is real erratic. Sometimes i pound the heck out of my hard drive 2, some days its just MP3s. If i let it sleep, the mac shuts it off literally at any inactivity, needless to say not good for constant on/off. i dont leave it 24/7 though.

so what do you guys think? think maybe the dell monitor just crapped out, and the new one is interfearing with my monster trinitron monitor? id be really depressed if that one went.

the samsung on our family comp sleeps like every 20 minutes...plus its turned on/off TONS a times a day, and it shows no signs of wear (been this way for 3 years)

so i dont wanna start a flame war..mind you this is all CRT monitors..what do you think? and yes i did search the forum with little luck

thanks in advance

This is a very good question. I do not sleep my monitor at all for a couple of reasons.

The first being that it seems to be as hard on the monitor as powering it up. (That high voltage coil noise, if you know what I mean) The second reason is that I do a fair bit of photoshop work, and I like the tube warmed-up and color accurate.

As for my HD's they don't sleep at all. I like fast access, I don't want to wait.

yea my HD monitor, if its cold started, has nice color...however if its warm and woken up, the contrast and brightness are just worthless

Back