• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advantages of building your own rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hey guys. My cousin wants to build his own computer this time, but its up to his pops to decide whether it will be built or store-bought since he's paying for it. So I was wondering if we can all contribute to make comments on the advantages of building your own PC. After that, I can just summarize it into a word document and show it to his dad to convince him to go with building a computer instead of buying a retail one. Thanks. :)

CHEAPER (deals all over the net for parts)
more fun
fully customizable
generally more reliable than factory builds

Hot avatar.

Anyways

Advantages:
-Saves money
-Better performance then store-brought even at a lower cost
-Allows you to know every component better
-Individual warranties allow for easy part replacement
-More personalized
-Allows for future upgrades, because some store-brought are AGP and yeah
-OCable, store-brought mobo's are usually edited so you can't OC
-Allows for better choices
-Gains experience from building
-Satisfaction of oneself's creation
-Funner

The main thing when talking to your dad about it, is the money. Let's say you spend $2000 at best buy for a store brought. But you can spend about $1200 for the same/better computer if you built it yourself.

Just look for a store brought computer, and search up prices of each part and add it up and show him a comparison between the store brought/self-built. Make a percentage on it too, like "You save 30% by self building" or something like that.

Quality - All the parts that go into it you know are good beacuse you picked them. Unlike a store bought which may cheap out on some components here and there.

Also, the computer is built for your needs, its not some generic "jack of all trades, master of none" machine built for the masses.

One thing you should be sure to point out is the fact that all of the major parts in the home built rig have a warrantie from the manufacturer. I find that alot of people think if they don't have that "great service plan" from Dell or other brands they will be out of luck if somthing breaks.

One thing my little brother (he's 14, i'm 28) pulled on my parents was to configure a top end Alienware system online (5K+) and tell them it's the cheapest store bought PC that will fit his needs but building one would be half the price. Before I knew what he did, they sent me a check for $2500 to build him a system. My parents must be slipping in there old age because I could never have gotten away with half the stuff he does.

If he's looking for a midrange system, i'd suggest to get a good deal on a dell and maybe replace the vid card and add some ram.

Building your own *can* be cheaper but for midrange systems dell usually can't be beat.

If you build your own, you tend to pick up information. Try it, you might learn something ;).

(Tell him it's educational)

--Much better parts warranty that any OEM (no extra cost plus each individual part is warrantied)
--Fully customized
--Fun :)
--Pretty much infinitely upgradeable
--Cheaper in the long run (compared with buying replacement parts from the OEM which they may or may not have in stock and/or buying a new one if something critical dies)

Navi was built as part of an independent study for my major (so yes, it can be very educational). Sure, some small mistakes will be made, but that's part of the deal/learning process. Besides, you've got all of us here to help out :D

Another pro (the way I see it, anyway) is being your own TS. You lean a lot that way, and should you wish later, you can hire yourself out to fix stuff.

The biggest advantage to me overall is that you gain experience and learn ALOT. The first pc you build will be a huge achievement and learning experience.

The second advantage to me would be the price. Any pc over 1000 dollars should be custom made and not store bought. a pc under 600 would probably be better off store bought, there are exceptions though.

Customized to your likings

More bang for the buck..WAY MORE BANG

overclockability and tweakabilty

you love your case

Sjaak said:
If he's looking for a midrange system, i'd suggest to get a good deal on a dell and maybe replace the vid card and add some ram.

Building your own *can* be cheaper but for midrange systems dell usually can't be beat.

On that note: Even if the Dell is slightly cheaper, you have already added more to the cost with that vid card and ram. And you're still stuck with a crappy board and low wattage psu.

So, IMO, a midrange system that's homebuilt is ideal because you get exactly what you want, even if it's slightly more. You choose the parts based on price and specs to get the system that you want. And finally, you always have a decent board that allows for tweakage. Even if there is no overclocking, you can make the most of you memory, etc by tweaking the timings. Try that with a Dell.

I think the best reason to build your own is because there is so much you can learn. It doesn't hurt that you save some serious money when it's a high end system either. ;)

Back