• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Play time. What do you want on your pc??? OH GOD! YES!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MmCheeto

:santa:

Hello everyone.
I am involved in a very.... Interesting situation.

I work for a mid sized family owned company that serves close to 2,000 retail stores around the USA. I have spent the last month taking them out of the stone age of local 3 people on one PC to 3 terminals on a net server..... Anyways the time has come for there small file server to be upgraded from a dual pentium 3 450mgh to something alittle up do date and fast. Now I know what comes to mind when I think of blazzing server speeds so I had my parts list and was all set. Then Mr. Boss decided to throw a wrench in to my whole plan. He told me that he would much rather spend the money and buy new parts for my own personal computer and use whats left over for his server. I thought I herd him wrong so he repeated and I almost wet myself :p . So now my problem is. Where do I go????

Atm here is my setup as in my sig

Pent 4 3.0gig Prescott 1mg Cache HT
2 gig DDR1 Matched 800fsb (Odd ball brand from fry's :()
Gigabyte GA-8Ik1100 V2.0
The rest im keeping.

So yea .. Wow.... What to do ???? I could go AMD but in the past (3 years agoe and crappy mobo) I have had bad luck so im sure they have changed sence then.

So lets pretend you have someone telling you. "Pick whatever Prossessor , Mobo , and ram you want cause its time you got the good stuff" and off you went to pick out your new chips. What would you get? Why? What would you do with it? PLAY BALL! :santa:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't quite get it, lol. Does it mean you have an unlimited supply of money for your own personal computer?

If so, go AMD. You might just have had one bad experience in the past, well come on, you might've been unlucky and recieved a bad chip or mobo.

The best CPUs out there are the X2 4800+ and FX-57. One's for multitasking and ones for pure gaming. They are about $1000 each.

For motherboard, get ASUS A8N SLI Premium, or the Abit AN8 SLI Fatality.

For ram, get 2GB OCZ Platium Ram.

CPU: AMD X2 4800+ Toledo, AMD FX-57, Intel Pentium D 840 Extreme, or maybe an Intel 670.

Mobo: For Intel, I like the P5WD2 Premium, for AMD, I dunno, but probably Asus or DFI.

Memory: Go Crazy. Get at least 2gb of whatever you want.

Have fun with whatever you get!

darksparkz said:
I don't quite get it, lol. Does it mean you have an unlimited supply of money for your own personal computer?
QUOTE]

Well not quite unlimited. Id say ill prob get about 2k to spend on cpu , mobo , and ram. Free grear is free gear I just want to make sure I get it right this time lol

darksparkz said:
You might just have had one bad experience in the past, well come on, you might've been unlucky and recieved a bad chip or mobo. QUOTE]

I think your right. I used 2 Soltek mobo's for the Amd's I have had. I think thats where I went wrong :(. Almost like getting spanked really hard I just scared to go back lol. :)

Or perhaps an X2 or FX-57 and a crossfire board. I've read interesting stuff abot crossfire vs. SLI.

No matter where you go, HAVE FUN YOU LUCKY *******!!

Definatly go with the X2 and a DFI. Don't forget to spend some money on good cooling as well ;)

yo4444 said:
Or perhaps an X2 or FX-57 and a crossfire board. I've read interesting stuff abot crossfire vs. SLI.

No matter where you go, HAVE FUN YOU LUCKY *******!!

LMAO thanks a ton yo4444 :)

Vulcan said:
Definatly go with the X2 and a DFI. Don't forget to spend some money on good cooling as well QUOTE]

Yea I got that coverd lol ;)

Hrmm ok so

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail
64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64 X2
Voltage: 1.35-1.4V

Or

intel Pentium D 840 Smithfield 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80551PG3200FN - Retail
Hyper-Threading Support: No
L1 Cache: 12KB+16KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Operating Frequency: 3.2GHz
Series: Pentium D
Voltage: 1.25-1.4V

From what I can tell now adays.... Operating speed isnt everything. I see that Dual core and 1gig fsb is the way to fly. This correct thus far?

I'd go for AMD.

AMD's dual cores are much better then Intel's, especially if price isn't a problem. Try going for 2x eVGA 7800GTX KO Edition in SLI, that's probably the best graphics you can find. Maybe a Tyan motherboard, but I don't think they have SLI in it. So go for Abit or ASUS, unless you want to OC, go for DFI. Look at getting phase change cooling too, lol.

darksparkz said:
I'd go for AMD.

AMD's dual cores are much better then Intel's, especially if price isn't a problem. Try going for 2x eVGA 7800GTX KO Edition in SLI, that's probably the best graphics you can find. Maybe a Tyan motherboard, but I don't think they have SLI in it. So go for Abit or ASUS, unless you want to OC, go for DFI. Look at getting phase change cooling too, lol.

Wholy crapo :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I dunno if I'm too late, but hopefully, you can consider what I suggest as well

CPU:

Get an AMD X2 4800+. With 2.4ghz on EACH CORE (total 4.8ghz) and 1mb l2 cache, you can't go far wrong. An FX-57 may game marginally better, but an X2 is overall better. besides, you would not feel any lag at all when opening any programs, while an FX will still feel some. Besides, this covers for almost for potential tasks you might need to do in the future, and you are 100% future proof for at least the next 3 years when dual-core games/applications comes on.

Besides, you got 100% bragging rights...top of the line x2....dual core rocks!

MOBO: go with either MSI K8N diamond, gigabyte k8nxp-sli or 2005 3d1 LE or abit an8 fatality-SLI. May I advise you NOT TO GO FOR DFI boards unless you are a hardcore oc-er or very good with troubleshooting. True, they offer very high oc-ing capabilities, but ONLY to those who know what they are doing. there are cases of them not even being able to cold boot out of the box until tweakings are done. For ease of mind and easy installation, get those I recommended

Video-card: SLI leadtek 7800GTX (2x 7800gtx in short)

sound card: the creative new fatality X-fi

RAM: crucial ballastix 2x1gb or the OCZ plat 2x1gb (4x1gb is overkill....probably cost too much too....)

Hard-drive: go with 2 250GB SATA2 Hitachi or WD hard disks...raid0 them

Noo, don't go for Leadtek 7800GTXs. With your budget, go for the best you can get, the eVGA 7800GTX KOs =)

Some people have had problems with the MSI boards. So I still recommend ASUS A8N Preminum or Abit AN8 Fatality.

Ok you guys sold me on the AMD 4800 :) ... once I looked at the true dual core 2.8gh each it all clicked.

Still undecided on the mobo. The budget is not set but id rather not make it look like im taking to much advantage of the situation. Im more concerned with stability even under OC. Sence I constructed my water cooling system to take high load. I do plan to perform some OCing but not to the point that I need a phase cooler or anything more extreem then what I have lol.

So here is the cpu I think would work for me

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX - Retail
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz
Series: Athlon 64 X2
Voltage: 1.35-1.4V

If I am correct as to that is what el_leumas , darksparkz , Vulcan , and Vaio are suggesting.

PS: If I skimp alittle maby I can get a Gforce 7800 to replace my 6800 teehee :santa:

The GT is decent, but the GTX is the best, lol. Spend an extra $50 for the GTX and you'll have the best video card out there.

Vaio said:
Wow. GTX prices dropped just AFTER I buy my system :bang head

Bleh sorry to hear that bro :(

Yes I agree GTX is well worth it. I have been very happy with my 6800 Pro OC by BFG. Sence I have used the cooling system I noticed quite a fps jump and score on marks. What you think.... 7800GTX gonna be a large jump in performance?

I really like my PQi. 2gb for $200 with 3-3-3-8 timings at DDR2-533 speeds. I think it's well worth it. Others will argue against it, and seeing as this is a non-budget build, I might have to agree with them.

Back