• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7-e and Prescott Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxleo

Hello again all,

I urgently need help. I set a new Prescott 3.2 into my IS7-e (v1). It all runs fine (windows boots fine). just after 30 minutes or so the pc peeps and also reboots.

I not overclocked anything. (Before i used a 1.8Northwood and overclocked it well)

System:
Windows XP SP2
Newses Bios "24", reset ti defaults
Newest Intel Chipset
Temperatures Idle 43-53 (Night, Day).
Cooloer Coolscrap (shoud be better than default).

It craches ad Idle without any stessing, at idle temperatures.

(maybe the mb is damaged? I not undestand because before the mobo never run fine, 6 months not overclocked any more the northwood before)

Thanks very much for all ideas!
Max

Do you have the Abit GURU monitoring software? If so set it up to log events.

My guess would be your PWM temp is getting to the limit & PC Health is shutting it down. I added a fan to the right side of my cpu heatsink & it greatly helps the PWM temp on my AI7 & IC7.

Hi,

I'll try this software today, thanks very much!

I think of all possibilities and not possibilities..:)

"maybe i put too much arctic silver,?.. that flew out?... Why abit made a is7-e2, was the first version faulty?..All the mentions prescotts not fit 100% on 478, but if i hear to everything in all forums i could not go out of my house:)

ps:my case is open.

Thanks & Greetings Max

I think the IS7-E2 is a cheaper version with only 2 RAM slots. Your mobo should run the Prescott ok at default with a BIOS update. If your idle temps are reaching 53 in the day, then load temps are probably getting really high too. Check load temps. Might try improving case ventilation. Prescotts run lots hotter than Northwoods. Look at the links in my signature for cooling ideas.

Thank you all for your help. I think it was the air-cooling of the grafic Card which i connected with a lover volt cable. I connected it directly to the mobo and also installed a powerfull case fan, now temperatures are idle 44 case 34. (difference 10) and shutting down stopped YEAHHHHH :) Does it make sense that the graficcard pushes up mobo temperatures too? Anyway, i think i we solved it.
Thanks again (It runs like crazy in old 478:).

Max

If the video card was running hot, then that warms up the air inside the case. This warm air is then blown across the CPU heatsink by the fan which means it runs warm too. Yes, it makes sense. Improving case ventilation by installing a powerful case fan should help. Glad you got it figured out.

ok friends, unfortunately not solved.. :-/
It ist better i think, but not solved, when temperatures around 50 again (game) it freezes (no beeps now). Maybe this is another problem now (before beeps came from the graficcard?..)
- I changed the graficcard, not helps.
- Maybe its the memory, and dualchannel not likes the 2 slightly different 512mb blocks. I'll put one out next weekent to try
- Maybe its the mothoerbord itself not liking the 50 degrees of prescott, i found this http://www.epinions.com/content_138959228548
ill try give my aircooler a even stronger fan, or even blow the whole motherboard with a ventilator :) This poiint: Which parts of the mobo i have to specially cool?

Thanks i let you know how it works.

MAx

Is the sound looping when your game freezes? If it is, it could be a problem with the soundcard. Try running DXDiag, on the sound tab, reduce the hardware acceleration.

Ok friends! it now i hope seems to be solved:):):)

I took out one of the twoe 500mb rams and disabled Hyperthreading -> System is stable now.

Sound not looped! (same soundcard as before, i only changed the processor).

Reache now 3.9Mhz with core-voltage 1.43. (3.7Mhz without change). Runs absolute stable, Abit EQ shows me idle 48 and stress 56.5 celsius. As easy as reaching 3.9, 4.0 seems be no way. Very low latencies, ddr voltage change, core-voltage 1.47 all not helped. But 3.9 is very nice!!

So, seems be very ok prescott on IS7-E-)

Thanks all for your help!
MAx

Last edited:
Hi Batboy, just read your post in another forum "long term higher voltage may damage system".

My IS7 has now core-voltage 1.43. (This is two levels higher then minimum in the bios) The cooler is stronger than a SP90 - air induct have- also arctic 5 paste - Maximum Stress temperatures are 55 celsius. (with MB5).

Can i sleep well the next years ?... :) :)

Greetings from Switzerland & Thanks again for all - Max

You are ok. The Prescott does not overvolt until above 1.5v. Your motherboard might not handle too much above 1.475v unless you put heatsinks on the mosfets.. I think you are safe at your current settings.

Back