• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my new "P5WD2" and I really need some help setting a single raptor. (easy)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtatdsm

Got my new "P5WD2" and I really need some help setting a single raptor. (easy)

well this is dumb really but I just have to make sure to get things right before I start replacing my current P4C800 e dlx and [email protected] with my new P5WD2 and 660 along with a single 74 which is going to be my OS device.

first how will I go about setting the single raptor along with my other 3 none-sata storage hard disks. these 3 HDs will go into the red ide slots right (nothing will go to the blue one right?) and the raptor will go into sata1 slot. ok if this is correct, what settings will I have to change in the bios to make sure that the raptor is going to be the prime device were the OS is going to be uploaded to. I am thinking it's only a matter of setting raptor as the prime device from the bios, is that it?

and finally since I am not going to be using any raid, I will not need to use F6 and loading drivers right? or I will need to do something to take the full adventage of the 74gb raptor.

thanks a lot guys.

In order to get my sata drive to work in the windows install, I had to do the f6 thing.

The manual isn't clear about it, but all cd/dvd drives are supposed to be plugged in to the blue slot.

You can choose the boot order of the hdds in the bios, so just set the raptor to the 1st slot, and you should be good.

would you please tell me what files do i need to copy to the floppy? i mean I know it's in "ITE8211" folder on the asus CD, inside this folder there are other 3 folders, (drivers, makedisk, and disk).

thanks

In order to get the sata drive to work? None are needed, just what's in Windows. Just hit F6, hit I think S, hit esc, then hit enter(or something like that). Basically, you go into the driver page, go to the select driver page, back up a page, then exit to the regular install. That is exactly what I did, and it worked perfectly. I am sure you could probably cut half of that out, but I cannot say that for sure.

Plug your Raptor into the red SATA_1 connector. I was unable to connect more then 1 device(optical device) to the blue IDE connector so I connected them to one the red ATA connectors. In the bios you want to go to IDE configuration and set everything to IDE. Next go to *Onboard device configuration* and enable the ITE controller to IDE mode. Only enable the Silicon Image controller if you have a SATA device connected to the lone red SATA connector located near the CPU, otherwise disable it. Under boot priority I set your raptor 1st, then your optical drive 2nd. Save and reboot with XP in your optical drive. During POST hit F8 for boot device selection and then pick the optical drive the XP Cd is in. Before hand get the ICH7 IDE drivers on a disk, you can create a driver disk by inserting the AI life cd and under drivers click on the ICH7 SATA driver disk creator. Do the same for ITE controller. During XP setup hit F6 and load drivers. Hope this helps.

I am also having trouble with this board.

I have the premium version. I do NOT use any SATA drives, but have one optical IDE drive and 2 standard IDE drives.

I want the optical on the lone port (which works) and the other IDE drives on one of the red ports. problem is, when i try to boot from any IDE drive on a red port it blue screens. When i connect the optical as master and one HDD as slave on the blue connector they work.

Can you not boot Xp from the red connectors? I need the optical on blue and my HDDs on the reds.

Is this thing SATA only or what?

Thanks!
Shane

Category 5 said:
I am also having trouble with this board.

I have the premium version. I do NOT use any SATA drives, but have one optical IDE drive and 2 standard IDE drives.

I want the optical on the lone port (which works) and the other IDE drives on one of the red ports. problem is, when i try to boot from any IDE drive on a red port it blue screens. When i connect the optical as master and one HDD as slave on the blue connector they work.

Can you not boot Xp from the red connectors? I need the optical on blue and my HDDs on the reds.

Is this thing SATA only or what?

Thanks!
Shane

Your ATA devices will work no question. First thing first, get on a PC and insert the AI Life disk. Under drivers select the tool to create a ITE IDE driver disk. During XP setup you'll need need to hit F6 while it' s loading drivers.

Connect your optical drive to the blue connector as master. Connect both of the ATA HDDs on the same cable to one of the red connectors. In bios make sure under onboard device configurations that the ITE cotroller is set to operate in IDE mode. Restart and enter bios again. Under boot priority set the drive you plant o install XP on as 1st device. Set optical drive as 2nd. Restart. During post hit F8 to enter boot device selection and slect the optical drive that has the XP disk in it. When XP setup begins pay attention to the bottom of the screen it will say "Press F6 to load 3rd party SCSI or raid drivers", do so.

Back