• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot PC3200 won't overclock at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgirl

I got the 2x512 Patriot PC3200 (PDC1G3200LLK) sticks over the weekend, but I can't seem to run this memory above 200mhz, no matter how much voltage I give it. They run fine at stock speeds, but once I try to go above 200mhz I get reboots right before Windows starts to load and sometimes no post at all.

Memtest turned up no errors running at stock speeds.

I was previously running Corsair value select in the same computer and it ran fine at 210mhz, so needless to say I was expecting MUCH more out of this Patriot ram. :bang head:

Mobo is Asus K8V SE Deluxe, which I know sucks for overclocking, but shouldn't I be able to get something just a little better than stock?

Strange. I was under the impression that ram was pretty decent for overclocking. I'd say AT LEAST 230mhz or so in the review I read on it. It is a little odd that the corsair value ram outclocks it. I think it may be some kind of motherboard incompatibility. What timings are you trying when going past 200mhz?

-Collin-

The timings are at the advertised speed of 2-3-2-5. I don't have the option to loosen the timings in the mobo's bios, so I downloaded A64 Tweaker. I tried to change timings that way and just got lockups. :(

I'm thinking mobo incompatibility too...

Something is going on with either the board or the BIOS.
I have those identical sticks and they will run 1:1 above 240HTT on the DFI LP board I use.

pcgirl said:
The timings are at the advertised speed of 2-3-2-5. I don't have the option to loosen the timings in the mobo's bios, so I downloaded A64 Tweaker. I tried to change timings that way and just got lockups. :(

I'm thinking mobo incompatibility too...

Here is what I'd do. Just change the speed and leave the rest (Cas, Ras, etc) on auto and only change your Cas latency(cl) to 2, speed to 233 and rest on auto, without changing voltage. Or leave everthing on auto and just change your CPU FSB . raise little at a time before raising the cpu voltage.
I have patriot XBLK and they are very fast and overclock to 500, my mobo limit. Patriot XBLK is TCCD.

I used a set of 3200LLK (2x512) on a DFI Ultra-D and was able to get 222 HTT 1:1 but had to loosen it to 2.5-3-2-5 @ 2.8v. It seems with this ram, only the CAS likes to be changed (either 2 or 2.5) Changing the other timings just caused problems. Pretty limited stuff, but with a divider it should perform very well on an A64 platform.

m :)

pcgirl said:
I got the 2x512 Patriot PC3200 (PDC1G3200LLK) sticks over the weekend, but I can't seem to run this memory above 200mhz, no matter how much voltage I give it. They run fine at stock speeds, but once I try to go above 200mhz I get reboots right before Windows starts to load and sometimes no post at all.

Memtest turned up no errors running at stock speeds.

I was previously running Corsair value select in the same computer and it ran fine at 210mhz, so needless to say I was expecting MUCH more out of this Patriot ram. :bang head:

Mobo is Asus K8V SE Deluxe, which I know sucks for overclocking, but shouldn't I be able to get something just a little better than stock?

PC girl,

These are not the XBLK TCCD sticks, right? Could you post a link from newegg? Send me a pm if you are having problems with these modules. I have 3 gigs of Patriot PC3200 XBLK and 2 hit DDR600 one hits DDR595.

I have been a long time fan of Patriot Ram. I have a set of the old silver heat spreader 3200 512 sticks it has TCCC modules on it and with AMD systems I have never been able to get it over 230 FSB or HTT. I put them on a DFI 875P-T and they ramped right up to 270 FSB 1:1 with the chip. I had the timings at the stock 2-3-2-5 that they were rated at. I now have the 2G3200LLK on my Ultra-D and I am playing with them, the 2GB kit seems to act the exact same way as the other set did, it is Infineon chips on this set. I will stand by PDP as I am about to loosen the timings on it. On the Neo2 Plat I was using I go tthe RAM upto 230 running at 2.5-3-3-7.

I got a set of Patriot PDC1G3200ELK (2 x 512) earlier this year, and have found them stable at low O/C's, but not much as far as "high performance".

I'm using them at the stock 3-3-3-6 at 210FSB in my XP2500 Barton system, and they run well, but I can't get much than that. They didn't work well at all in my Sempron rig.

I've never been able to get any info about this ram anywhere, not even from Patriot. Anybody have a clue what chips these are? I think Patriot does a poor job of supplying info on their products outside of the XBLK models!

Blooz1 said:
I got a set of Patriot PDC1G3200ELK (2 x 512) earlier this year, and have found them stable at low O/C's, but not much as far as "high performance".

I'm using them at the stock 3-3-3-6 at 210FSB in my XP2500 Barton system, and they run well, but I can't get much than that. They didn't work well at all in my Sempron rig.

I've never been able to get any info about this ram anywhere, not even from Patriot. Anybody have a clue what chips these are? I think Patriot does a poor job of supplying info on their products outside of the XBLK models!
Patriot XBLK are TCCD and the way to tell if yours are TCCD is to look at the backside(no paper label side) and if you see 8 silver pins(dots) in row above the gold teeth (kind of uneven random spacing between silver pins) then you have samsung TCCD.

PCG,

Those could be Micron chips. Unfortunately there is not much headroom available, 30-40MHz max. With A64 tweaker, you may encounter a freeze if you change the CAS without loosening other timings. Strange motherboard. Did you try looking for a modded BIOS?

Super Nade said:
PCG,

Those could be Micron chips. Unfortunately there is not much headroom available, 30-40MHz max. With A64 tweaker, you may encounter a freeze if you change the CAS without loosening other timings. Strange motherboard. Did you try looking for a modded BIOS?

I couldn't find a modded BIOS for the K8V board, and I tried an older official BIOS revision with no luck.

I just placed an order for the DFI Lanparty nF3 board on Newegg so hopefully I won't be running stock much longer. :D

Thanks, OCHungry - I already know that these aren't TCCD, they don't act like them at all!

The strange thing is that I can't find ANY info on this "ELK" model - even at the Patriot site! I got them on sale at ChiefValue back in March, and as I said, they DO run very stable, just don't O/C much.

They run fine in the Socket A at 210FSB, just don't try to push them to 220 or so! I got them to smooth out BF1942 a little, and they do what I wanted.

BTW - Your tip about how to identify TCCD just worked for me on some Mushkin LII V2 which is supposed to be TCCD (was bought right before the change to TCC5), and I see the silver colored areas you mentioned!

Last edited:
Back