• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't set up a Raid 0 on an IC 7 Motherboard??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjr1973

Friend of mine has a computer with one raptor on an IC-7 motherboard with a P4 3.4 Prescott. I had an extra raptor laying around and we decided to set up a Raid 0 on his system yesterday. We went through all the changes in the bios and setup the Raid just fine. Then we went to install windows XP on his system and hit F6 to install the drivers. As soon as we put the disc in his a Drive (which he had never used since he built the comp) and tried to install the drivers...nothing happens. The light on the A drive doesn't come on and it just says to try again. We tried different floppy drives and different cables and nothing helped. Is his motherboard bad?

We tried it on his wifes IS-7 and it seemed to work fine sort of. On my system with an Intel 875 Motherboard and P4 3.4 Northwood, when I format my raid 0 drives before installing windows it takes literally around 15 seconds to format the drives. On his wife's computer it took around fifteen minutes. Does anyone know what could be causing this? My experience with Abit boards yesterday was frustrating to say the least.

I have an IC7g board and run RAID 0 with 2x120 gig drives. (see sig)
I can't rule out that the floppy controller is bad, but if the light does not come on the floppy drive then it might be the drive not the motherboard. Most times the ribbon cable being installed backwards is the problem. Another thing to check is that the floppy drive is enabled in the BIOS.

As for formatting time, there is an option for quick format and for full format. Could that be the difference?

Thanks for the reply Fabulouscoops. The floppy isn't hooked up backwards because when you do that the light is on all the time. When you hook it up the right way, it just wont work. Like I said we tried three drives and three different cables and nothing.

As for the formatting time, I always do a full format and it literally takes only fifteen to twenty seconds. Another friend of mine has an ASUS board and his is the same way.

I'm gonna assume his Floppy controller is dead and if he wants to set this Raid up, he's gonna have to try and RMA the board.

On my 1st IC7 the floppy controller died. Were you able to read floppy's before you tried to set up raid? I'd rma it.

Back