• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new memory will play nice with what i already have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wyld

Registered
What new memory will play nice with my old BH-5?

I currently have 2 x 512 sticks of kingston hyperX pc3500. i'm pretty sure they are bh-5 chips.

what new matched set (2 x 512) should i buy to play along nice with my hyperX? should i get the ocz gold VX that are based on the bh-die? is it bad to mix bh-5 with tccd?

or should i look into trying to find more hyperX memory?

thanks for any input!

(new to the forums btw, been reading as much as i can, this stuff is great!)

Last edited:
by the way, i currently have an asus K8N with a 3000+ clawhammer.

i'll be upgrading soon to a DFI SLI-DR and likely a x2 3800+ for some OC fun.

wyld said:
I currently have 2 x 512 sticks of kingston hyperX pc3500. i'm pretty sure they are bh-5 chips.

what new matched set (2 x 512) should i buy to play along nice with my hyperX? should i get the ocz gold VX that are based on the bh-die? is it bad to mix bh-5 with tccd?

or should i look into trying to find more hyperX memory?

thanks for any input!

(new to the forums btw, been reading as much as i can, this stuff is great!)
For what I have read is best to have all 4 sticks same brand and same chips/timing,speed.
but the problem w/ present AMD mem controler and motherboards is that, 4 dimms will run at 2T, unless you find the next set of 2x512 single sides (64bit).
if you need 2 gigs, 2x1gig will rund 1T.

yeah i've read the same. i just can't get the same bh5 hyperX anymore as its no longer available. i was thinking maybe a bh-die would be good enough. i guess i'll just use my current bh5 in the new system until i can afford to go 2x1gb

You can pick up a set of "previously tested" (sounds better than used, doesn't it) ram with original bh-5 anywhere from $160-$200 here in the forums (once you reach the 100 post minimum). The fact that they are not PC3500 or that they are not KHX branded would not be a big issue for you, as long as they are using bh-5 chips. Due to possible/probable differences in the PCB used by the different manufacturers, you would do better if you could find KHX PC3200.

I would like to go back and ask a few questions about your current ram because it is entirely possible that you have CH-5 and not BH-5 chips in that set of KHX PC3500. Only the very early runs used the bh, afterwards they used ch. Could you post the information that is on the paper sticker attached to the heatspreaders (or a pic of the module with the label showing)? Is it a dual pack or two single sticks? The dual kits have a "K" in the label and these, to the best of my knowledge, are CH-5 based.

Last edited:
it was not a dual kit. they are two seperate 512 sticks individually packaged purchased from best buy several years ago. i know i have checked before to see if they were bh-5 and had thought they were. i will check again when i get home.

i believe the white sticker said "KHX 3500"

i've tried to overclock them before but never had a motherboard capable of supplying more than 2.7V. i bought a DFI SLI-DR last night. hopefully that will correct that issue :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear that board can give slightly larger doses of Vit "V" than what have currently been able to provide.

Back