• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open Discussion on DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adamwinn

I havn't found any substantial discussions in this section about DDR2. Are most people avoiding the switch? What about those of you who have already switched, what do you think?

I just got my first DDR2 rig, but I havn't had a chance to play with the memory timings, so I don't really have any idea yet.

Btw, what are people's opinions regarding single ranked v. dual ranked ddr2 dimms. I can't find <i>any</i> good articles explaining the pros/cons. Though I did notice some quad-ranked memory in a featured Tom's Hardware article. 4gb per stick... insane.

DDR2 is gonna be a harsh switch for the a64 community. as they will HAFTA buy ddr667 in order to run 1:1 with the memory, but as we speak Micron has chip that either do ddr667 3-2-2 or damn close to it. It wont be a huge switch, it will be beefy yes, but it wont be as latency hitting and all that stuff as everyone thinks.

DDR2 is here to stay. I've been running it since last December. It has far less voltage so it runs cooler and it will do very impressive speeds. By the way, DDR2-667 RAM has been readily available since last fall. Heck, they have DDR2-1000 available now. Those stuck in the old school DDR rut will whine about DDR2 timings. Yes, the timings aren't as tight as some of the higher end DDR like BH-5 or TCCD. But, I have a pair of OCZ EB rev2 PC2-4200 that will do 3-2-2-6 at DDR2-720. Sorry, there is no DDR RAM that will ever touch the bandwidth of my DDR2 RAM. It's the beginning of the end for the old DDR.

When AMD goes DDR2 nobody will want to be using DDR1 anymore. AMD already have some cores rocking along and the results are quite good from what I haven't heard ;)

Back