• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 915G Boards OC capability???? - Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

I have I have an intel 915G board that comes with my Gateway 506GR. Is there anyway that I can find the EXACT model? The curent BIOS seem to be locked and not OC compatible. Is there anyway other way that I can OC my system?

Thanks a lot.

IC. So it's a no go for my motherboard then.

btw, while we're at it, can you guys suggest any good board with highest potential to OC with my 540 (with good cooling of course)? Don't need onboard sound or video since I have the X850xt and the audigy2zs platinum pro.

Thanks again. :)

thanks batboy

My current setup is
3.2ghz P4 540 LGA775
Intel 915G chipset board with 2GB DDR1 (4x512)
Saphire ATI X850XT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E

Ok, with a socket 775 CPU, a PCI-E vid card, and regular DDR RAM, you are limited to the i915 chipset mobos that use regular DDR RAM (a few use DDR2 RAM). Unfortunately, they aren't the best overclockers. For example, the Abit AG8 which I had at one time, it was a nice stable feature rich mobo, but would only O/C to about 240 FSB. Perhaps that would be good enough for you? That would "probably" allow a good 3.2 to hit 3.8 gig (assuming you have good cooling).

Sometimes, 4 sticks of RAM will hold back an O/C a little. Perhaps you should think about selling your old RAM and investing in 2X512 DDR2 RAM, then you could get a better overclocking mobo, like the Abit AA8XE (which I have) or if you want an upgrade path to the dual core Pentium D 8XX series, one of the i945/i955 chipset mobos like the Asus P5WD2 or Abit AW8.

thanks again. I can go back to store and return the two 512 ddr400 that I bought and stick with only 1 GB for a while till I can upgrade the mobo. Those Dual core mobos that you recommened, will be be compatible with my current CPU and still allow me to upgrade it to D processor later on or I'd have to get the D processor with it?

Yes, as long as your current CPU is a socket LGA775, it will work fine in those mobos that support dual cores (if you use DDR2 RAM of course).

I just found out that My stock setup has the Hynix DT-D43 DDR1 Rams. So I'm thinking of sticking with these and get a very good 915 DDr1 board.

Please give me your recommendations.

Thanks a lot.

MSI's 915 boards have some overclocking ability. Problem has more to do with Intel limiting the chipset. They were literally locking the cpus down through the chipset, and a few manufacturers took the time to work around this. There's a MSI forum out there with more info on how to overclock those boards.

I know my Shuttle XPC 915/LGA775 based PC doesn't have a PCI lock. Not good for OC'ing. I think this is common with the 915 chipsets, but what do I know...

:cool:

Yeah, all the i915 chipset mobos can't truly lock the PCI-E bus. Abit and Asus sort of manage it to a point. Even the best i915 chipset mobos like the Abit AG8 and Asus P5GD will generally only O/C to about 240 FSB or a little more if you are lucky and have a vid card that is tolerant of high bus speeds. So, if you can live with only 240 FSB, then go for it. Your 540 CPU has a 16X multiplier if I'm not mistaken. Just be aware not to expect much more than 3.8 gig O/C. If you get more, then you are living right. I had an Abit AG8 and 3.2 LGA775 that would do 3.8 gig with my X800 XT, but the guy I sold it to could only hit 3.6 gig with his Nvidia.

Back