• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No post after memory overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

73h n3wbc4nn0n

Registered
No post after memory overclock (help needed desperately)

Well, chalk up another making a fool of myself to computational hubris.

Using the rig in my signature, I changed the timings on the memory from 2.5-3-3-7 to 2-2-2-6 (I changed the vdimm from 2.6 to 2.8v, but I think this is of little consequence as I have set it to this before and with 100% stability). I knew it wasn't working because my board displayed the RAID array search (which it always does when it doesn't like a setting) it says something along the lines of:

"nVidia RAID controller
Searching for Raid Array..."

So I try to restart the comp to get into the BIOS, however, I miss the opportunity to get into the BIOS thanks to an itch on my back, it gets to the same screen and gives me "nVidia RAID controller", except it locks up and does not display the searching part. I try to restart the computer, it starts but the monitor acts as if the computer is off. I reset the CMOS, no response, I reset the CMOS again, CMOS checksum error, some hope. I figured I made an error in the procedure as I did before. I repeated it upwards of 5 times and kept receiving checksum errors, I'm 99.9% sure that I have the procedure down after resetting it about 3 times thus far. Just resetting the jumper works, which I did, when this didn't work I removed the battery, waited a while, reset the jumper, and put the battery back in, didn't work, did this again and I'm still getting the checksum error.

As an added caveat, I recently had a similar crisis with the CPU, I promised my father (who funded the computer :) ) that I would leave well enough alone. I'm sure I'd look horrible, and would probably p*ss him off if he found out about this problem before I have a viable solution. I'd like to get this fixed painlessly and quick (for free and without having to replace anything), however I fear this is impossible. :eh?:

Two questions:

Is this a permanent/physical problem? :bang head

How can I fix it? :bang head

Last edited:
sounds like at worst you may need to get a new bios chip from DFI. If you have tried to reset the cmos multiple times the only thing i could say is to leave it off for a few hours, with the battery out and power cut to the board. Although i dont think this will mke much of a difference. You can't get into the bios at all? When you change those timings did you up the voltage? Sounds like you need to read some of the stickys around the forum because i think you have posted a few times, and they were all trying to change things suddenly not considering all other variables. Anyhow, new bios chip would be the only fix i see. unless it magically starts working again.

i took a look on dfi's website and didnt see any parts ordering page. you might have to call them or someone else may know how to get them. This would be the cheapest option instead of having to go through a 3rd party.

I'd like to thank kmrivers for his advice, in this thread, and the previous one about my CPU.

I may have reacted too quickly, as leaving the CMOS battery out for about 30 minutes did the trick. From now on, I'll be wary of changing the CAS latency. I've learned three things from this episode:

1. Waiting longer than 30 seconds really does matter when resetting the CMOS.
2. Apparently an hour of research is not enough.
3. Jesus does, in fact, love me.

glad its working. take your time. there are lots of good stickies here. if you have any questions just pm me. i would say talk to me on aim, but my computer is down because i killed my CPU(and i give advice, go figure). BURN IN YOUR HARDWARE!

Read this guide:

Sen's Burn in Technique

This is a good way to get some awesome clocks. While he is doing it at o/ced speeds. doing it at stock for 24 hours is a good start. Just put it under it stock voltage and let it run. You can change your settings to whatever you want just make sure of the following:

1: They are feasible
2: You have considered limiting factors (voltage, etc)
3: You have tested something between stock and the speed you are going for. For example if you want to run a 230 FSB, you slowly make your way. Testing every step of the way with Memtest.

Like i said if you have questions ask. And make sure you read all the good information here, so you wont have mistakes like this as often. good luck.

Back