• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfoolio

Registered
quick temp question..

Specs:
abit is7 mobo
p4 2.8 ghz
oced to 3010 mhz
got an xp-120 heatsync
2 mushkin 512 meg, but they are different timing i think..

temps: 41c idle and 53c high load..

any advice? i may not have been doin things right..

Hi and :welcome: to the forums!

What sort of cooling setup do you have? Any case fans? Intake or Exhaust?

Also make sure your heatsink is seated properly - what material did you use between the CPU and heatsink?

Which 2.8 do you have? Northwood or Prescott? 53C load isn't that high if it's a Prescott.

What is the max cfm rating of the fan on your xp-120 & is it operating at full speed?

Case setup i have:
lian li pc-60
- 2 front intake fans blowing directly onto 4 160 gig western digi 8mb hd's, which then goes through the case
- 1 exaust fan on the back, and 1 exaust fan on top
- all fans 80mm

PSU
-enermax with 3 fans

heatsync
-i believe the heatsync is seated just fine, i used arctic silver for the material. the heatsync is locked in properly..
I also bought the most powerful panaflo fan i could buy, (Panaflo 120mm U1A - FBA12G12U1A), the fan is running at full power, but doesnt have a sensor to sense the rpm of it.

-again im pretty sure the heatsync is locked in properly (it did take me some time to get it to lock in due to the enormous size of it), but i guess i could try it again.., also should i be using the material for the heatsync cpu that came with the heatsync or use the arcitic silver?

Dude, it must be Abit man... look at my rig, we have identical temps. I'm on the stock heatsink... I just think abit reports high.

im using motherboard monitor 5 to list the temps.. any difference?

also im atm my cpu usage is between 60-70% 66 processes, commit charge: 882/2461 and im at 53 c right now with all that running

yeah i run a lot of stuff, have too, but i guess i can fine tune them down to necessary ones, but i should still be able to run all this crap without it overheating like this..

Here is something I was sold from a member of the Abit forum maybe even one of thier mods. Abit=Appears Below Indicated Temps in other words temps you see are higher then they really are. I know with my AS8 with BIOS 17 the temps were 40 idle now they have redone the temp sensor with BIOS 18 my idle is 30 with a 40C load temp.

Last edited:
I have 3 IS7s and they all report temps too high. 2 of the boards report temps about 4-6C degrees higher than expected. The one in my workstation with a 3.0C running stock reports temps similar to yours. I've had 3 different heatsinks(stock, Zalman, and Pal), and the temps seem to report 8-10C higher than expected.

well i did a reboot on my system i guess something was eating up the power.. cuz now im about 47-48c max.. and idle im like 40c.. so if im 5 or 6 degrees over.. thatd put me at about 34, 35 idle and 41,42,43 tops.. does that mean i got more room to overclock? I have a northwood, and my cfm is 114.7

Last edited:
Sure, you have a little overhead, so go ahead and O/C a bit. I would not let CPU load temps get much above low 50's though. I would think 3.2 gig is within reach.

awesome thanks for the info, im gunna post the results when i get a chance to work at it.. whats the highest voltage i can allow safely on my processor and ram? i want it to be stable (obviously), also i posted here in the past my ram chipsets are two different 1/2 gig chips:

991455 Enhanced 512MB EM3200 3-3-3-8
991432 High Performance 512MB HP3200 2-3-3

running dual channel, any ideas or tips to get the most out of my ocing and computer?

Back