• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 boot from IDE - Can it be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Category 5

I know the optical drive must go into the blue connector.

I have no SATA drives, but want to hook up one optical (on BLUE) and 2 IDE drives (1 boot, one audio recording drive) to one of the red connectors.

...problem is, I see WinXP boot screen, and then immediately get a blue screen saying windows was halted.

All works if I connect the OPtical drive as master and 1 IDE as slave on the blue connector. But then I don't have my audio drive.

How can I boot from the red IDE connectors? ...or must i simply buy all new SATA drives (please tell me no! - I have about 6 IDE audio drives I need to still use!).

Thanks!
Shane

P.S. Dual priming at 3.75 right now and at 55C load temp (44 idle) on water. :)

The two red IDE Connectors are controlled by a ITE Controller. On the Asus CD there is a tab called "Make Disk" (or someting like that). On that tab is an option to create a floppy disk with the ITE drivers. Right when you boot up off of the WinCD it asks you if you have 3rd party drivers to press F6. Press it. It won't do anything right then, but a few moments later it asks you to press "S" to select the driver. Press "S" - You will see a box with the ITE Drivers. Select them. Leave the floppy in. Win Will need to copy those files to the HD as part of the installation.

So is there any way to make the existing installation work? I installed it by using just the blue connector. I DID install the ITE driver from the CD once Windows was installed. that didn;t seem yo make it work. Can I somehow install the ITE drivers to the boot disk after Windows is istalled?

Thanks!
Shane

I ended up having to download the latest drivers from Intel and Asus's sites to get everything to work. Also, don't forget to enable USB 2.0 and hispeed usb in the bios. For whatever reason (probably comptability) Asus has usb set to the slowest settings by default. Welcome to the "I have waaay too much money to spend on hardware" club. lol

hook up one optical (on BLUE) and 2 IDE drives (1 boot, one audio recording drive) to one of the red connectors..
This should work. It just might take a few tries to get the setting right. Let's start from the beginning. What BIOS are you using. If you aren't up to 0422, that's prolly where you should be because I had trouble setting up my SATA (Blue) connectors on the shipping BIOS. Even though you are not using SATA, the blue connector is controlled by the same Intel controller that the SATA is. But dont worry bout any SATA drivers.

You get a BOSD because Win can't find the HD you want it to load on. As I understand the manual, page 2-27, the blue connector can only support an optical drive as a slave and it has to be plugged into the black connector on the ribbon cable. Also you have to set the jumper on the optical to be a slave. You can't leave it in the CS (Cable Select) position.

Plug the HD you want to be your boot drive into the PRI_EIDE (red) connector on the mobo. Don't plug any other HD in yet. Go back and read my other post to you carefully. You have to create a floppy with the ITE drivers on it. They have to be loaded using the F6 option from the floppy soon after you boot off of the Win CD or Win won't be able to find your HD. This is the only way to get an HD on the red connectors to be a boot drive.

Yes it can. You can download teh IDE driver boot disc from the CD included in the box. I am using IDE as we speak as my primary drive :D

Got it working finally. thanks guys. Hopefully my Norton Ghost disc will work with the drives too.

Shane

Back