• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What sort of performance boot would I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slack

I currently run my CPU at 255 x10 (that's roughly it's max).

I currently run 4 sticks of 512mb PC433 (2.5-3-3-7) which doesn't OC at all well in my AMD rig and as it's 4 sticks not 2 you have to disable CPC (run at 2t).

Sooooooo.

If I was to buy a pair of the new 2x 1gb OCZ DDR500 (or the like) that run at fsb 255 1:1 (minimal OC!!). What sort of perfomance gain would I expect.

I will be going from 2T to 1T, which is good and a performace boost.

I will be going from a 166 divider to 1:1, which I hear is also a boost.

I will be going from 213 (or something like that!) to 255, which is obviously a boost.

The reason I want to get a feel for this performance boost is it will cost me 400 euros and I wont have much use for the old ram. So unless it feels like a worthwhile spend, I may give it a miss.

Cheers - Slack

In bench marks 1T vs 2T is around 10% but in real world use there is about a 3~5% difference depending on the App. I doubt you would notice any difference. I would use 4x 512 instead of 2x1024 because the interleave is better. Your big gain if you can not get your 4 sticks to OC well is from the fsb depending on your final timings. If you have the money to burn then get them otherwise unless your a benchmark junkie I would keep your current ram.

Thanks for the straight reply! Nice to get a direct answer :)

Back