• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good picks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vcstrike

good picks for new build?

im getting a new computer soon and im wondering if i got some good choices.
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05 (w/ window)
HD: Western Digital Caviar 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150
Monitor: SAMSUNG 793DF 17" DynaFlat
Mobo: DFI nF4-DAGF Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
Vid Card: SAPPHIRE 100107-BL Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Optical: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM
PS: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A
Keyboard: Microsoft K96-00001 2-Tone PS/2
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Ram: OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 (2 x 512MB) DDR400
Proc: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Cooling: XP-90 w/ Delta Tri-Blade (AS5)

anyone know if i can add an extra fan to this case? i have about 30 bucks leftover so should i upgrade anything? power supply maybe? maybe get an xp-120 or 90c?

Last edited:
iS 80 GBs enough? I have about 40 GBs of music, then 20+ GBs of games, then other programs and such. I have about 80 GBs used right now. I guess if you don't have alot of music or don't plan on it, 80 GBs is enough. But if you are even second-guessing if it will be enough, it's not that much more money to upgrade. I just finished a very similiar setup and I love it. I run BF2 and HL2 at medium to high settings 1024x768. I haven't overclocked anything, so that is my next step.

80gb is enough for me i dont play too many games only like 4-5. i have a 160GB hd now because i thought i would use it all but ive only used 20gb so 80 is enough. what about the case? can i add an extra fan in it? also is leadtek a good maker of nvidia cards? is gigabyte any better?

The Western Digital is not a bad choice, but I reccommend the Hitachi drives. They offer great performance for a good price.

I would get the Epox NF4 Ultra board. I don't know much about that particular DFI board, but if it is like any other DFI board you may encounter problems that require some tweaking in order for your system to operate properly. There is DFi-Street where you can get help though. However I think the Epox is the best overall board. it is a great overclocker for the price.

You can get a X800XL for really cheap at tigerdirect. You may want to get that.

Don't spend so much money on RAM. It is obvious you are on a tight budget. You would be much better off getting cheaper crucial value RAM and then getting a better video card or even another 1GB of RAM. More RAM would really be benefitial in games such as BF2, F.E.A.R. and upcoming games.

That Delta you chose for the XP-90 is not worth it IMO. It is really loud while only performing slightly better then say a 92mm Panaflo.

wouldnt getting value ram make it harder to overclock? i wanted to get to about 2.6ghz. can epox do this?

should i look at some ddr500 ram? i heard value ram really doesnt oc too well.

well in terms of performance you'll be better off with value RAM and getting a better video card. you can use divisors so your CPU won't be held back.

I'd check into a cheaper case and probably a 6800GT or higher ATI card.

i just want to start overclocking. can i do it with value ram? i want to get about 285*9.

The crucial RAM I refered to in my previous post actually overclocks pretty well. Also value RAM will not hold back your max CPU clock at all. Just use a divider.

i heard value ram wasnt too good... never heard of using a divider and making it oc better.. ill ask around. if thats true would it be hard to get around 300 fsb?

well with a 2/3 divider you can run 300 FSB and your RAM will be running at 200mhz which wouldn't be OCed at all and it would easily be able to do that.

I would drop the video card and get a 7800GT or GTX or a X800XT PE. Any of those will be significantly better than the X800, and I would drop the case and go with a cheaper one.

Back