• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clock speed vs timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aintnospam

Which will grant more performance:

250MHz 3-4-4-11
or
205MHz 2.5-3-3-7?

I can't bench them and see for myself because I'll be away from the comp for a while but has anyone compared these settings before?

btw, what voltage is considered a 'safe' limit for memory?

since the timings are both so loose, i am willing to bet the 250mhz will be a bit better.

the voltage "safe limit" depends on the memory you have, what brand/model do you have?

250MHz will be faster in that case.

He may have to run 2T because his memory controller doesn't want to do it. My LBBWE Venice-ron refuses to run 1T for anything much over 208MHz. Maybe its a BIOS deal since the current BIOS for my board came out before the CPU did & they didn't get much time to test it or maybe its the chip (probably that). Its a loss of ~60-80MB/s of bandwidth but being able to run a memory speed over 208MHz makes up for it.

Yea, the PC refuses to boot with 1T on those conditions. I'll go for 250mhz then. Is that a great increase over the other though? I'll have to run 0.5v higher to achieve that so is that worth it?

Back