• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nOOb question about ram timings, dividers, and the p5wd2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

Crimedog explained some of the settings as we tinkered with my new p5wd2 at this past weekend's lan. Dan was great help in getting me comfortable with the bios, which has many 'foreign' settings to an old-time oc'er like me.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is why some people run their ram so far out of spec, but keep the bus pretty low. In the old days running memory faster than the bus was a waste since your system was only using whatever bandwidth the bus provided. Now it seems folks are running their ram higher and somehow benefitting from it(??).

Don't be afraid to point me to other threads or a tutorial - I'm sure this is old hat and don't expect those who've been ocing for the past 2 years to spend hours with me catching me up. Just looking to be pointed in the right direction :).

Back