• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Upgrade on HP 9680c - need BP advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wulfit

:bang head Anyone have experience with BIOS PATCHER and an HP Pavilion 9680c?

I'm trying to make a Tualatin Slot-T (1) adapter work with this system, however all I get is a blank screen. I could have sworn someone from this board had successfully done it earlier this year, but the archives only go back to April.

I loaded the latest HP sourced AWARD BIOS 1.16 - but no dice ...

I remember they used the BIOS PATCHER - which I have downloaded - all four components. The problem is, that with the default settings, I get a file that is only 43K - the original BIOS is 256K. When I try to flash the BIOS using the resulting BIN file, the AWARD flasher says it is the incorrect size.

If anyone is bored - here are the system specs ...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&product=57621&dlc=en&docname=bph05321

Here are the motherboard jumper settings ... this is where I get lost;
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&product=57621&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph05507

If anyone knows of a related thread, please refer me to it - I'm about to return the upgrade kit, but I'm going to try a few more things in the next couple of days

-wuf

Welcome to the forums! I saw your thread in the Intel CPU's forum, but I think I will try my best to help here since this is probably a more appropriate location.

BIOS- It doesn't sound like that download went correctly if the new BIOS is only 43K. I often have some downloads that mysteriously are not complete or corrupt no matter how many times I try them with different internet browsers or download managers.

I would try downloading from a different source or computer if possible.

Jumpers- To me those jumper settings appear to just be for the CPU's multiplier, however I myself am quite confused about the BF3, BF2, BF1, and BF0. Since it says BUS frequency multiple, there is a chance it may have to do with the ram, but I am not very experienced with P3's and their architecture and how their motherboards work. Good Luck!

The file from the BIOS Patcher is actually the resulting "Patched" original BIOS. It's a result of running the BIOS Patcher software on my system - the download of the software itself was OK. I think its just bombing out on the actual patching process - but the resulting messages are in cryptic english.

Given the MB architecture/BIOS level/RAM/etc. do you think the Tualatin upgrade should be a slam dunk on this system?

Thanks,

WUF

Back