• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I believe I was scammed using Bidpay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
im not sure if this goes here or not.. since they dont sell a product..
but i posted something on craig's list and i have a buyer who wants to pay via bidpay MO!?

Last edited:
this buyer of yours should let you do the shipping is my first concern... as for bidpay(they send you a MO thru the mail) i think you cant scam that ez cuz you have to cash in that order and wait for it to clear. the good thing about bid pay is you dont have to face paypals recieving funds fee, but the buyer usually pays more. bid pay and paypal like charge ppl in the opposite manner - bid pay basically charges you $$ to send $$ while Paypal applies fees for recieving $$

(beware of fake money orders, i have heard that there is a delay in MO processing and the bank will allow you to cash MO's while you send the product and then the bank says this was fake you owe me the amount of the MO - also another money scam)

For postal money orders, are you able to cash it immediately at the USPS post office? I know for us here in Canada, all Canada Post postal money orders can be cashed on the spot at a post office. And since they'll scan the postal money order into the system first, they'll know whether it's a fake one or not.

It's probably safer than accepting BidPay and having to wait weeks for it to clear. And with the confusing bank policies, don't be surprised if the bank comes back a few months later and takes your money away, saying that the money order is fraudulent (although you've been told it cleared).

AFRICAN 419 SCAM ARTIST PLEASE DONT GO ANY FURTHER WITH THIS TRANSACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- THAT IS A FORM LETTER, HE SENT IT TO EVERY BODY ON CRAIGSLIST, THATS WHY HE DOESN'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ITEM OR EVEN MENTION THE ITEM

- HE WILL USE A FAKE BIDPAY EMAIL AND TELL YOU ONCE THE TRACKING NUMBERS ARE SENT OUT THE MONEY WILL BE SENT,,, OF COURSE THIS NEVER HAPPENS!!

please do NOOOOTTTTTT GO THROUGH WITH THIS. IF POSSIBLE MAIL TO THE AUTHORITIES.

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:
If you have concerns, simply tell the buyer you will only accept a Postal Money order and will only ship once the payment clears.

Sam is knows all about all things fishy (both scams and catching those water-lovin' creatures).

If they really really want the item then they will pay by YOUR preferred method and will wait for money to clear before they get the goods. Their grasp of English doesn't seem so good, where would it be going to?

**** I Repeat, Do Not Negotiate With This Guy, Forget ABOUT It Do Not Go Through With This Transaction.. He Will Try To Get You To Ship To Nigeria!!!!****

crimedog said:

Lionsault_100, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

oh ****... wave good bye to that one...

if you don't want to put this out in public send me a PM, but i'm not sure what can be done now!

Did you receive any usable money ?

i hear sometimes the scam artist sends a counterfeit money order, the bank clears them, but 2-3 weeks later YOU are responsible to pay it back.

Lionsault_100 said:
oh ****... wave good bye to that one...

if you don't want to put this out in public send me a PM, but i'm not sure what can be done now!

Did you receive any usable money ?

i hear sometimes the scam artist sends a counterfeit money order, the bank clears them, but 2-3 weeks later YOU are responsible to pay it back.
all i got where fake emails from bidpay (Sent by the buyer.. )
here's copy of the thread in the section that you cant see:

d94 08-26-05 01:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea, Bad Idea :p.

Don't open any images, word docs, or anything else he may send you :p.

d94 08-26-05 03:54 PM

crap

Super Nade 08-26-05 04:01 PM

Mate,

Looks like you are goofing up with every step you take :)
Do not answer any e-mails or offer any comments without thinking about it. Keep posting here before you do anything else. Speak with Luta, krag or SSS about this and follow what they have to say.

Keep on FedEx's *** about this. Nigeria is aways off, not sure if it has to pass customs first. Involve the authorities if FedEx can't help.

YellowDart 08-26-05 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d94
crap

Quoted for truth. :p

Seriously though... I'm sorry to hear about that bud... and for your sake and/or sanity, I truly hope they'll stop that package and get it back to you.

They shouldn't charge you for the bad fedex accounts... but will likely charge you for the return shipping.

nahmus 08-26-05 04:01 PM

here is a website that pretty much describes the scams (your's is a classic scam) and what somepeople are doing about it. If anything the stories are funny

http://www.419eater.com/

Docta_Z 08-26-05 05:19 PM

If he calls, inform of a wrong number.

Drop contact with him, and doubt his emails.

You can sell your card stateside.

Good luck bro.

d94 08-26-05 07:05 PM

im wondering if i ****ed up
i just got this reply to my email!

Hello,
i am a matured lady and i know how scamming goes and how painfull it is to
get scam,i am now scared that you have made me disapoint my son,why have
you done this?i know you have called back shippment.i told you that you are
a new person in bidpay this is the major problems with you.i told you your
cash will be pin in your account as soon as shipment is verify,why do i
scam you?whats the gain?what will i derieve?a house, a car,a good
name?WHAT?
Kindly mail bidpay to notify them,the nail you sent to me that bidpay send
to your emails is not fake,the customer care that was asign for your order
is [email protected],i saw it in the reciept they send to me when my
secretary was thru with the payment.i will ask my personer manager to call
you,as soon as i am going for the legislative meetings.
always investigate the fact befor jumping into conclusion and call people
scammer or do not advertise your item again,
i will also call you.
you never needed + to call my number just dail UK number code my network
was bad since yesterday that was why i have not been able to reach you.
thanks
note;please let me know my stand so as to know what to tell bidpay if you
have called back shippment,and i will love to know the content you shipp if
you havent called back shippment,i am happy buying from you.but you
disapointed me.

zip22 08-26-05 07:09 PM

tell them you are just trying to cover your ***. do what SSS suggested. tell them you will mail the item when you have the money.

crana 08-26-05 07:18 PM

Quote:
+447031910873

Oh crap, i didnt relise that.... Basically +44 = 07.... Which is wierd because its a UK thing, i didnt notice that eariler.

I seriously say this is a really bad attempt at a scam... Its sooo obvious!! ffs who would get their mother to email someone if they cant spell a goddammed thing either!!

Now they are probably using "The guilt techique" They are saying stuff like "You have dissapointed me" Which makes you feel generally guilty... But it shouldnt work!

"I am a matured lady" Whats that got to do with anything???

Thats just my opinion. sorry if that post is sloppy i should really be in bed by now :p

Oni 08-26-05 07:32 PM

First things first: Stop contact with this person! Do NOT answer to emails! Do NOT answer your phone if they call (if you do get it, tell them it's a wrong number or somesuch) and save EVERY PIECE OF CORRESPONDANCE YOU GET FROM THEM!

You are the one who has been wronged here. YOU are the one who is being scammed. Do you have their money in your hand? No, I didn't think so. Don't let them dissuade you into thinking you're doing something wrong. You're protecting yourself.

If you come out of this $140 poorer, at least you got your card back and didn't come out a lot poorer.

AZNBoiOnFIYA 08-26-05 07:42 PM

next time try simply selling within the states
d94 08-26-05 08:15 PM

well, im on the phone w/bidpay right now to see if the email i got was legit or not!
ill let you guys know what i find out...

crimedog 08-26-05 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNBoiOnFIYA
next time try simply selling within the states

there's nothing wrong with selling overseas. i've done it many times, and will continue to do so. first rule of trading is to make sure you have the money before you ship, that's what the problem is.

easy answer to your techie.com problem is if you got one from techie.com when you registered.

d94 08-26-05 08:40 PM

well.. did a bit of looking and apparently bidpay doesnt ask for a tracking number.. there's the scam right there

d94 08-26-05 08:45 PM

well.. i was on phone w/western union they said contact bidpay. and bidpay doesnt have a damn contact #

Aug 27, 2005 12:06 AM

At dest sort facility

POYLE GB

thats in the UK.. WTF?!?!

Archer36 08-26-05 08:45 PM

That sucks man, keep going after FedEx ask for a manager if they give you crap call the next day and ask for a different one. I would be trying my hardest to get fedex to turn that shipment around at little to no cost to you.

It made me laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedumbNigerianscammer
i am now scared that you have made me disapoint my son,why have
you done this?

Edit,
Ick its out of the US, still keep trying if they were being reasonable they should only charge you the cost to ship it back.

Kill_A._Byte 08-26-05 08:57 PM

Damn....
Is this one of the cards you got from CompUSA?

WingsofGOD 08-26-05 08:58 PM

Man, that sucks.. Woulda been better off selling it for $50 less to someone here on the boards...

d94 08-26-05 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill_A._Byte
Damn....
Is this one of the cards you got from CompUSA?

not quiet
2x 6600gts = 2x x800xl = 7800gtx = 2x 6800U

d94 08-26-05 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofGOD
Man, that sucks.. Woulda been better off selling it for $50 less to someone here on the boards...

i may end up doing something like that when/if i get it back =/

Silversinksam 08-27-05 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d94
now this is interesting.. this morning i emailed him saying i know its a scam and i called fedex and they're sending the package back to me. here's how he replied
Hello,
what do you mean?are you trying to screw me.what is your proof,that i sent
a FAKE,bidpay money order.to you,
pls i am intrested in this accusition of yours.cuz i will involve my lawyer
as accusition without comfirmation is useless.i sent my secretary to order
your cash and she send it to you.what do u mean by fake.
i am happy to let you know that when shippment is not properly verify your
cash and pin number will not be log into your account ,so do not allow
people fool you about scamming.i was once scam and i know how it hurt.
you can call me and talk to me to discuss the issue better,
+447031910873
thanks

now, what does + mean?
maybe he isnt scamming me, but right now i cant conlcude anything else!
here's how i replied:

well, all the bidpay emails end @ .techi or .technologist. plus i logged into bidpay and it said there are no transcations going on.
if your not scamming me then IM VERY SORRY FOR ACCUSING YOU! but at the moment i see it no other way. i tried calling your number and it says its a wrong number - what does + mean?
please contact me -
home (1)*** *** ****
or cell phone if im not home - (1)*** *** ****

I WOULD BE A VERY HAPPY PERSON IF I AM WRONG! so please call me so that this can get sorted.

Just ignore him and move on, I've seen similiar threatening e-mails stemming from Nigeria con men, they get real aggrevated if their con does not work, lucky for you that you were on the ball and caught it in time, most do not.
While you may have to pay the return Fedex shipping charges, Visa will not charge you that $140 once their fraud dept looks into this matter.

d94 08-27-05 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversinksam
Just ignore him and move on, I've seen similiar threatening e-mails stemming from Nigeria con men, they get real aggrevated if their con does not work, lucky for you that you were on the ball and caught it in time, most do not.
While you may have to pay the return Fedex shipping charges, Visa will not charge you that $140 once their fraud dept looks into this matter.

glad to hear that SSS :)

the interesting this is.. this guy called me @ 12am.. jabbered some words i didnt understand in relation to me not having proof that its a scam, then said have a nice day and hung up rofl :shrug:

in any case, the package did get stopped by the looks of things! :)

Aug 27, 2005 6:09 AM

Shipment exception

POYLE GB

Regulatory agency clearance delay

i wonder how much it'll cost me to ship back from UK...

Super Nade 08-27-05 01:03 PM

Well, a lot better than having to lose your item! Wisdom is expensive!

avalanche83 08-27-05 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d94
i wonder how much it'll cost me to ship back from UK...

It is usually around $20-$30 bucks for usps, give or take some for fedex.

Archer36 08-27-05 02:26 PM

I sent a small packge about 8oz to Germany for $8.00 on priority mail. It was a long time ago though.

David Coleman 08-28-05 01:36 AM

is this a joke?

I didnt know anybody would actually deal with somebody online in nigeria after the thousands of scams worth millions of dollars over the past decade.... :rolleyes:

shard 08-28-05 02:44 AM

i dont think he knew it was in nigera before hand =/

Silversinksam 08-28-05 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Coleman
is this a joke?

I didnt know anybody would actually deal with somebody online in nigeria after the thousands of scams worth millions of dollars over the past decade.... :rolleyes:

Lots of people still get duped into the Nigerian 'Bidpay/Paypal' scam. The 419 scam contributes to the majority of the hundreds of millions of dollars bilked annually from people not vigilent enough to realize its a scam.

http://www.joewein.de/sw/fraud-west...bidpay-ebay.htm

Craigslist even has a large warning:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

d94 08-28-05 01:35 PM

Last edited:
WTH... i asked the lady if she could give me a rough idea of how much it would be to ship back to me and she said roughly $135!?!!?

------------------------------------------------------------

so yea... thats where im @ :-/

Something to keep in mind.

Bidpay can only be used for actual auctions; I tried to send someone an MO through Bidpay for a non-auction transaction and BP rejected it as there was no valid auction number.

So (unless they've changed things recently) any Bidpay 'confirmation' email you get for a non-auction transaction is most likely fake...check the headers.

Back