• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some suggestions for upgrading my computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanleychan

Hello,

I want to upgrade my primary gaming computer.

This is what I'm using right now:
AMD Xp 2500+ mobile
abit nf7-s motherboard
radeon 9800pro agp
40gb hard drive
sound blaster audigy 2
1gb pc3200 ram
dvdrom and dvd burner
Antec Sonata case

I would like to keep the video card, sound card, case, memory, hard drive, and dvd drives. So I'm mainly looking to upgrade the motherboard and cpu. In the future I might want to upgrade to a pci-e video card, but at the moment I don't want to spend that much money. So I was wondering if there are any motherboards that have both agp and pci-e slots. Would I need a new power supply as well? Right now I'm using the 380Watt powersupply that comes with the antec sonata. I'm on a budget of about $350. What should I get?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would wait until you have enough money for a new video card. So you can make the move to PCI-E.

I agree with Brutual, sometimes upgrades won't make a difference unless you have enough money to push it forward.

Also, I don't think there are any motherboards that support both AGP and PCI-E, other then the new ULi motherboards...but I rather recommend just saving for a whole new PCI-E system.

Well, if you MUST upgrade, all I'd do is change the PSU and get new ram. Because most PSUs and ram is compatibile with your current system AND your upcoming system.

Just get some nice ram for now, such as OCZ 2GB Platinum ram, and probably a OCZ Powerstream 520W, and that can set you back about $360.

Is the computer used for more than just gaming? If so, then why not go with an Abit AS8 for $90 and P-4 630 3.0 with 2M cache for $179. All the rest of your stuff will work and that 630 is a great performer. It will O/C like crazy too. With good cooling they often hit 4 gig. Better get the Thermalright XP-90 heatsink too for $43. There, you have a great system and a few bucks left over from your budget too.

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127183
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116198
XP-90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109119

Probably not going to be used for anything else other than office applications and web surfing. I really can't get another video card anytime soon and I suck at saving money. I was hoping to use my radeon for about a year or so because I just got it not long ago. The best pci-e card I can possibly get anytime soon is the 6600Gt, but would preformance boost of this card over the 9800pro not worth it for the price? I wouldn't mind that much with getting a board with only an agp slot and no pci-e. Is the amd64 3000+ cpu any good?

thanks

try overclocking the videocard and see if you're happy. Otherwise, just get an nForce3 250gb socket 939 and a 3200+ venice. You can still use your videocard and if you have a little extra money, get a Zalman VF700-cu.

-1cem4n

Thanks

is this board good?
MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM NFORCE3 ULTRA S939 AGP 5PCI SATA 1394 SOUND 1000LAN MOTHERBOARD

Is it necessary to buy a new power supply if I don't plan on overclocking?

Back