• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did i just fry my 2x1gb ballistix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

i have a dfi sli board .. and i have 2x1gb crucial ballistix .. everything was running fine and then i rebooted and changed the voltage on them from 2.8 to 2.7 .. now all i get it beeps and 2 leds stay lit on the board .. which what i read on the dfi forums means mem prob .. i tried resetting the cmos mutilple times .. and the same thing :bang head :bang head

madhatR said:
i have a dfi sli board .. and i have 2x1gb crucial ballistix .. everything was running fine and then i rebooted and changed the voltage on them from 2.8 to 2.7 .. now all i get it beeps and 2 leds stay lit on the board .. which what i read on the dfi forums means mem prob .. i tried resetting the cmos mutilple times .. and the same thing :bang head :bang head
unplug power. unplug ATX main power from mobo. take the battery out.
wait 15 minutes. then plug the power and insert the battery. reboot and should be fine. next time after you change setting in bios also set the
"reset configuration data" to enable. this way if ESCD(extended system configuration data) did detected changes, will reload again and will automaticly disable itself. so next time you go to bios you will see it disabled.
if you dont want to wait 15 minutes then short your battey housing(conect the +/- with a wire for about 3 second).
but safest is waiting 15 minutes.
also in my machine when i reset timing or fsb/frequencies etc, my monitor doent come on and my case led stays on for about 15 second and then goes off. when the led on my front panel goes off then i reboot again and monitor on and beeps fine and everthing fine and setting changed.

you didn't fry them, just need to reset as stated. also helps if you have other memory you can insert to reboot and get into the bios.

its weird though .. i have done this a million times without stuff like this happening .. a couple of times today i let it sit powered off all night .. booted this morning ..it passed all the leds fine .. but just hung at the boot screen .. ill try taking all the power off of the motherboard .. how do i remove the battery ????

also i even removed one of the 1gb sticks and same thing .. sometimes it will boot and hang with 2 leds lite for mem .. other times it wont get pass the first led and it will just beep

update ..

just took the atx power connector off the mb .. switched the ccmos jumper .. waited 15 min .. put everything back .. booted up ... the lanparty screen came up and just hung ... so i powered off and back on .. and the led lights stayed at 2 lit .. there is really starting to **** me off lol ..

how do i remove the cmos battery .. and for some reason i dont think this is the problem ..

madhatR said:
update ..

just took the atx power connector off the mb .. switched the ccmos jumper .. waited 15 min .. put everything back .. booted up ... the lanparty screen came up and just hung ... so i powered off and back on .. and the led lights stayed at 2 lit .. there is really starting to **** me off lol ..

how do i remove the cmos battery .. and for some reason i dont think this is the problem ..
You probably didn't achieve anything by switching the CMOS jumper without removing the battery. The battery is held in by a small spring-loaded latch on most motherboards. Just press in that latch and the battery should pop out. Repeat the CMOS memory clear procedure with the battery out. It is very likely that it will fix your problem. Your system is unstable now due to some incorrect BIOS settings. Clearing the CMOS memory will restore defaults and it should work fine.

madhatR said:
update ..

I hope When you switched the clear CMOS to 2-3 pins you moved it back to its origional location 1-2. the clear CMOS jumper ( most are red color)is located near BIOS chip. And the battery? use a small flattip screwdriver and push the silver battery holder/spring sideway(away from battery) and the battery should pop out. You may have to prey the battery out by jerking the screwdriver like a can opener. It is not hard at all and very simple. Also remove all your hardwares and just have HHD, video card and ram in. no floppy, no cd rom, no modem, nothing, just those three mentioned.

yes i did switch the cmos jumper back to 1-2 .. ok ill give this a try .. will update shortly .. thanks

ochungry said:
I hope When you switched the clear CMOS to 2-3 pins you moved it back to its origional location 1-2. the clear CMOS jumper ( most are red color)is located near BIOS chip. And the battery? use a small flattip screwdriver and push the silver battery holder/spring sideway(away from battery) and the battery should pop out. You may have to prey the battery out by jerking the screwdriver like a can opener. It is not hard at all and very simple. Also remove all your hardwares and just have HHD, video card and ram in. no floppy, no cd rom, no modem, nothing, just those three mentioned.

One more suggestion: is your battery dead? it would be a good idea if you have another one laying around from your old mobo and replace it with.

ochungry said:
One more suggestion: is your battery dead? it would be a good idea if you have another one laying around from your old mobo and replace it with.

And btw- if you have not removed your battery the first post suggetion would be useless. The battery holds enough power (continouse power) to keep your bios program intact. removing the battery will discharge any new setting of your bios and puts it to its factory setting/program. so it is imparative that you remove the battery for 15 minutes.

k i removed the battery etc for like almost 20 min and went connected everything back up .. booted down to 1 led light which i believe means everything is good .. i see the lanparty logo .. i hit del to enter bios .. after the lanparty logo .. the screen goes black and nothing ..

so i power down .. power back on .. i get 1 long loud beep .. i shut down again .. restart .. it hangs on 2 leds which is mem ... power off again .. and back on .. goes down to 1 led .. no video on monitor and 1 long loud beep

madhatR said:
k i removed the battery etc for like almost 20 min and went connected everything back up .. booted down to 1 led light which i believe means everything is good .. i see the lanparty logo .. i hit del to enter bios .. after the lanparty logo .. the screen goes black and nothing ..

so i power down .. power back on .. i get 1 long loud beep .. i shut down again .. restart .. it hangs on 2 leds which is mem ... power off again .. and back on .. goes down to 1 led .. no video on monitor and 1 long loud beep
Try booting with only 1 stick of RAM. If it doesn't work, switch to the other stick. If that doesn't work, try one stick at a time in a different slot.

madhatR said:

also remove all your panel connctions (hdd led, pwr swch, reset switch, power ledd) and just connect your power switch and reset switch. make sure you are connecting them to right pins. clean the mem's gold teeth. inset them to dimms closer to cpu. replace battery w/ new one. check your psu w/ volt meter and make sure give correct voltage. take your cpu out and check it. start powering w/ minimum hardwares. befor power on, press and hold insert key on your keyboard.
sometimes keyboards will also cause freez. so if you have another keyboard, try it.
repeat the steps from first post suggestions(unplug, etc).
Other than these, you may have to take your rams to best buys or fry's and have them checked.

I hate to say it, but when my DFI board gave on long beep, it was warranty service time. I was playing around in the bios, and it didn't like it, so as best as I can tell, the bios became corrupted beyond any useable state, and I was issued a new board through DFI.

Sorry if you didn't want to hear that. Hopefully you'll get yours running properly.

BTW, my board was an NF2 Ultra-Infinity, in case your curious.

im thinking it could be the motherboard since i get video error .. mem error .. then it posts .. then it doesnt .. no matter what .. and my system was running fine for so long .. so i guess im gonna rma this board

Vaio said:
I hate to say it, but when my DFI board gave on long beep, it was warranty service time. I was playing around in the bios, and it didn't like it, so as best as I can tell, the bios became corrupted beyond any useable state, and I was issued a new board through DFI.

Sorry if you didn't want to hear that. Hopefully you'll get yours running properly.

BTW, my board was an NF2 Ultra-Infinity, in case your curious.

If Bios corrupted, then why not just flash it to original first and see if it works. If so then flash to the new Bios or download a fresh bios from DFI Site.
I had a DFI mobo for Intel celeron III w/ a 2 years old bios. downloaded the new skipping 3-4 bios updates had happened along the way. The BIOS did not work and yes I was getting just the post screen and dead. I went and flash original bios and made sure computer came on, and it did. Then I flashed the updates one after the other and each time made sure my computer working properly. I did this until the last update. Maybe you are right and BIOS corrupted. I know this is stupid to not just upgrade to latest and skip those in between. But I have a feeling DFI (and other mobo companies too) are not so smart or so perfect.
if they keep updating drivers or bios, etc.. I figure they may have skipped some important file or had compiled the program w/ defects.

First we need to clear something, CMOS will reset when the jumper is set to CLEAR even with the battery in there. The point of the jumper is to bypass the battery.
Second, recheck all your power connections. There should be 4: 24PIN ATX, 4PIN 12V, regular molex and a floppy connector. Are you using a 20->24 converter by any chance?

Flip-Mode said:
First we need to clear something, CMOS will reset when the jumper is set to CLEAR even with the battery in there. The point of the jumper is to bypass the battery.
Second, recheck all your power connections. There should be 4: 24PIN ATX, 4PIN 12V, regular molex and a floppy connector. Are you using a 20->24 converter by any chance?
Yah, but what if the jumper is not connecting well or the pins are bad.
removing battery is a sure thing.

ochungry said:
Yah, but what if the jumper is not connecting well or the pins are bad.
removing battery is a sure thing.
Its a VERY slim chance, of course removing the battery, unplugging the PSU from the wall outlet and pressing the power button few times will clear it.

guys .. all the power connectors were connect .. im using a native 24 pin psu .. its in my sig .. my pc crashed after it had been running for awhile with no problems .. so i rebooted and then nothing .. im cleared the cmos 100 times .. doing with taking the battery out and unplugging it .. etc .. 1 time i got into windows and it froze .. i think this motherboard just died .. it keeps throwing all different led codes .. mem 1 time .. the next time the mem is fine .. then video .. etc .. etc .. then it will just beep ..
so im gonna try a different motherboard .. if all is good .. i will rma this dfi board and sell it .. its been nothing but a nightmare since i got it

Back